Menu
Alan7
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed

I live in area 21 & signed up to the Vivid 200 fibre broadband, over a two week period I have been monitoring my connection speed at various times of the day & night finding that my best speed to date has been 46.4 is anyone else in area 21 receiving anywhere near the 200 service ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed

How are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

If wireless, try wired directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card.

0 Kudos
Alan7
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion however my wife & I both use wireless connection for convenience, I was not aware that the Vivid 200 speed was dependent on being hard wired to the hub which I must say is disappointing news.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sadly wireless will not hit the higher headline speeds easily. That's a limitation of the tech (and hitting 40Mbs, also a limitation with your own wireless tech as that's a common bottleneck).

You've hit the nail on the head when you say convienience. As with most things convienient they have drawbacks. Stability and throughput loss is the drawback of wireless.

You can however shed out some decent money and get a good 3rd party AC router and upgrade your devices to AC compatible ones (not one or the other). That's your best shot at reaching top package headline speeds through wireless, but as with all things wireless, it's not guaranteed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos