Menu
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed moan again

Again complaining about Broadband speed. See below!!!! supposed to be on 200mbSpeed Test.PNG 

On another subject I was given a price of £114 pound to upgrade to New V6 box? Just been told by my daughter & son in-law (live in the same post code area) that they have recently had the V6 installed and the existing box put up stairs for only £50.......why such a variation on cost?

Would be interested again to here from  Virgin!!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed moan again

Hello Ibbotson,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to see that you're getting slow speeds, I know this can be irritating. Are you testing your wireless or hard-wired connection? Ideally we need to see hard-wired results. Do you notice if your speed alters at different times of the day / night? As for the price of your upgrade, this does depend on your package but to get more info please contact our Customer Services team and they'll gladly discuss your options.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm really getting fed up with your answer to test hard wired.... I'm paying for a wi-fi (wireless) service!!!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ibbotson,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

I appreciate what you're saying, but we need to test the hard-wired connection as wireless can be variable and the performance is not guaranteed. Many factors can cause wireless interference, which are beyond our control. Devices in your environment could be on the same channel and be causing a conflict,  changing your wireless channel can help.

Please get back to me with further results.

Take care.  

Heather_J

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

ibbotson wrote:

I'm really getting fed up with your answer to test hard wired.... I'm paying for a wi-fi (wireless) service!!!

Then you better get closer to your hub and have a good wireless adapter.

0 Kudos
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have to hold my hand up and except that the problem may be my end!!! I have done a re-test on Wifi & Wired on both laptop & desktop. Wifi Is still coming in at under 50mb on both units, but wired is giving speed above 200mb. Can you please advise what Is posibly wrong with my Wifi and what I can do to increase the Wifi speed? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello there ibbotson,

Thanks for getting back in touch Smiley Happy

Have you had a chance to try the different wireless channels yet? This is a good place to start with improving the wireless connection. Is your Hub located in a good place? Off the floor and unrestricted?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can you please advice how to change Channel.

Regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

What wireless adapters do the laptop and PC have? (or what make \ model are the PC and laptop)

50Mbps would be the top speed for single stream wireless adapter on the 2.4Ghz band. to get 200Mbps wireless at close range you will need wireless AC adapters, assuming you have a SH2ac or hub 3.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help you choose the best channel by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

There are instructions on how to change the wireless channel here

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference.. So you really need to use the wider 5Ghz band to get the best speeds.

0 Kudos
ibbotson
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

HI

My laptop is a Acer aspire E1-571 with Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter Wireless. (not too concerned about Desktop) I have a HUB 3.

0 Kudos