Menu
Doonbar
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed area 14...Gone really slow... 3 or 4 Mb/s Best

Hi there, 

Fraid I am struggling with my Broadband speed. I have recently been given an upgraded from 50MB to 70MB but I am struggling to get 3 or 4 MB. 

The best I have managed in recent weeks is 15 MB at a lunchtime. 

I think this may have coincided with someone working in the virgin box outside my hosue recently and have previously had it were someone new in the area has signed up and the engineer said that my connection had been moved in the panel resulting in my drop in connection speed. 

I believe my area reference is 14. 

Could someone please let me know if this is a fault ?? 

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed area 14...Gone really slow... 3 or 4 Mb/s Best

Hey Doonbar,

Have you had a look at the service status page through my.virginmedia.com to see if there is a known fault in the area? If so, would be worth posting the id on the post to make it easier for the forum teams to give you any further updates.

It could also be High utilisation in the area. The best way of explaining this, is that the network can support 'x' number of users, and there are more than 'x' currently using it, so the network can't handle the usage.

High utilisation is extremely complicated, in that it takes a long time to upgrade the network in the areas, as our networks (if you've seen a local exchange, you know what I'm talking about) are very complicated, and isn't unfortunately a case of just swapping a couple of cables.

If this is High utilisation then you would be entitled to a month by month credit whilst the issue is ongoing. You can discuss this with the technical teams, by calling 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a virgin media landline.

Let us know whether this is a fault viewable on service status, and the forum teams may be able to give you a bit more info to possibly help (however, if it is utilisation, there isn't an awful lot that can be done unfortunately).
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
Doonbar
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi There, 

Yes I have been through my.virginmedia.com and there is no fault in my area listed. 

I will try the phone as you suggest later and see what they suggest. 

I can't think this is purely down to utilisation. If the speed had dropped from 50MB low utilisation time to say 20MB at peak times then I could undertand and accept that. But even at the lowest utilisation times I am getting maybe 12 MB and high 3 MB which makes the service unusable for streaming etc. 

Anyway I will phone first off and see what they say. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My pleasure. Smiley Happy
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos