Menu
Tommyroobs
Joining in
Message 71 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed: Discussion Thread

I switched from sky to Virgin in August last year with the promise that I would have the quickest broadband speeds around with vivid 200mbs. I haven't really paid attention to the speeds as just expected that I was informed correctly! After seeing recent reviews etc.. I have run a speed check and only running at 12mbs with a max of 50mbs. I double checked this by downloading a game on my x box one and it downloaded at a speed of between 6mbs - 12mbs! Why am I paying so much more for 'up to 200mbs' when clearly my speed is nowhere near this!

I have read on other forums that maybe the vivid 200 hasn't been activated yet but surely after a year this shouldn't be the case?! How do I activate it?
0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 72 of 87
Flag for a moderator

ModTeam wrote:

Hi

This is a thread to combine any comments and conversations about our broadband speed in light of the current media coverage.

Please keep this on-topic, and don't post in this thread asking for assistance - instead please read our article about How to check your Broadband speed first, and then if needs be, + Post a question

Thanks

Your Community Moderators

OK, you know what my past has been, now that its fixed, and I did thank the team, but for some time I have had really bad upload, on gamer it was 23Mbps solid, even when I had my 3 years of utilization/oversubscribed download speed, now that its fixed, and I am on Vivid300 the upload struggles at best to 15Mbps, I have made an official complaint, as mentioned in the thread and no one has contacted me about it, that has already broken your complaints procedure, as laid out in your code of practise, and you do know I keep all correspondence and references ready for the 8 week deadline, again, the ball is in your court, if you don't want to play, CISAS might want to play in the same court, maybe with a splash of Watchdog!

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
KBird80
Joining in
Message 73 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Struggling to get anything useful on wifi. Brand new router fitted last week by engineer. Speed check results coming back at 6.87mbps - on a 200mb account. Can't even watch youtube in HD without contact buffering. Glasgow based.
0 Kudos
Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 74 of 87
Flag for a moderator

KBird80 wrote:
Struggling to get anything useful on wifi. Brand new router fitted last week by engineer. Speed check results coming back at 6.87mbps - on a 200mb account. Can't even watch youtube in HD without contact buffering. Glasgow based.

--> Check speedtest.net on all available wifi devices (tablets, phone etc) next to the VM hub - any difference between them?

--> To properly troubleshoot network issues here it's strongly recommended you bypass wifi and connect via ethernet cable (minimum of cat5e or better) - there's many potential issues with wifi that would take some time to troubleshoot. Use a PC/Laptop...if you don't have one see if you can borrow someone's laptop.

Where in Glasgow are you (1st 3 postcode digits only)? Do you have a known VM fault number assigned?

0 Kudos
Priesy
Tuning in
Message 75 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Gotta love the school holidays over her in rainy Bolton BL2
I do hope I won't have to suffer these "DIAL UP" speeds until the kids go back in September

chrisxp
Dialled in
Message 76 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Credit where it's due, I love my Virgin speeds! Good job guys!

Happy Virgin Customer

If you like my answer please give "Kudos" (thumbs up) and if it's helpful please mark it as "Accepted Solution".

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 77 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I just wish they would refrain from laundering their tickets. You get a fault code for awful service, track it, told will be resolved 3 months later. Call up that day when not any better, and a new ticket has been opened the very day they closed the old one.  Smells of someone hitting a quarterly target by closing and reopening tickets.   

They kept kicking my issues along the road for years like that. Finally got a good service in January. For 6 months. And is now getting rubbish again.

Virgin, easy fix. Stop selling broadband when you can't meet the demand you've already sold!!  Don't give bonus to your execs until they can cut out the lies promising perfect service at all levels in the organisation..."it'll be better after this one last fix", "let us try, we want to make you happy". "I've just spoken to the engineer and they're pulling a new cable through now, it'll be up and running by midnight"

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 78 of 87
Flag for a moderator

New customers are never, ever told about existing 'faults' - of the type high utilisation (oversubscription), SNR etc. If the official answer (which is would always be VM-pre-loaded) is that sales staff cannot see 'faults', would you or anyone accept or believe this? Faults are clearly logged. For as long as VM has been operating these must have been tracked along with the affected location. There could be no justifiable reason, after all this time, why VM would have a system operating that very deliberately 'prevents' sales from seeing this. Staff on this forum and support have instant access to this information. The single primary reason is one of 'allowed miss-selling' - ofcom etc currently allow or turn a blind eye to this. 

With oversubscription (/crippling speed reductions below short-term (i.e. fix timeously pending) acceptable levels), from my own experience and countless others here and elsewhere you are almost certainly never going to be told upfront that a fault has been raised - you absolutely must be savvy, determined and persistent enough to let the staff you're communicating with know that you know something is significantly different from what it should be. Only then will they reveal to you a fault number - and that can take many calls. Of course, as part of any troubleshooting there will always be standard scripts to follow first. Unfortunately, the biggest issue is that the vast majority of customers are simply unaware and believe the standard smokescreen of "your suffering from an accepted peak time speed reduction" - this is very good for VM since they don't have to invest in cabinet fixes when they should be.

VM have one mission: to fully saturate - as far as they can get away with it - all available local cabinet /network bandwidth thus removing all headroom in order to fully maximises profit for the current infrastructure. In the long term this will dramatically backfire since, once the competition (BT) catches up, the public will never forgive or forget.

unisoft
Up to speed
Message 79 of 87
Flag for a moderator

The purpose of this thread please VM?

No one in VM has jumped to the issue of old CMTS in my area causing major issues with any downloads.

So its basically true, unless I get media involved in this, VM don't want to help resolve under investment issues and take the full subscription costs. If I go into a pub and ask for a pint, I get a pint, not what the bar staff randomly serve.

There is no replies to customers saying what's done, when its likely to be done. It just shows the contempt that VM must have for its customers and its complacency.

I cannot wait until BT deliver FTTC 300-500 that is in roll out. That's more than enough speed. I never thought I would consider leaving VM, but the service and support has been diabolical...

Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 80 of 87
Flag for a moderator

100% true.

There is absolutely no way in hell that ANYONE affected, and is in full realisation of the facts, would continue to support VM once ANY FORM of competition catches up. NOT A CHANCE!! VM (american owners: Liberty Global) has DELIBERATELY AND PROACTIVELY made a total fool of the UK public in their actions. How dare they use the smokescreen of "peaktime-expected service reduction".

Expect bandwidth saturation to continue until critical awareness is reached (a point way beyond public recovery!)

Utterly disgusting!! There is only one justifiable position for a company that does this!

I would hope that Richard Branson would extract his brand name from this company.

0 Kudos