Menu
unisoft
Up to speed
Message 61 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed: Discussion Thread

Here's my superb results from CT16 area (Temple Ewell) but would be similar in CT17 (Dover) as on River Delta CMTS - being mapped day by day for future use in any dispute with VM/CISAS  Smiley Happy

Its Vivid Gamer 200 (profiled at 230mbps in the modem config):

1500404542599904255-graph.jpg

Notice file downloads in a web browser (single thread downloads) in GREEN around 2-8mbps at most, BLUE is upload which was static until end of June and now 3-6mbps in PEAK, and YELLOW for multi-thread which should display 220mbps (like at one time it always did).

Whatever way you look at it, my service is severely under what I am supposed to get, along with hundreds of other people in this large catchment area. The amount of money VM take each month is not severely reduced however. VM always seem to managed to take the correct minimum amount each month, they never undertake....

0 Kudos
mikewarren23
Joining in
Message 62 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure what changed, but I've gone from getting on avererage 60mbps to consistantly achieving 220mbps all times of the day! Very happy now!!!
0 Kudos
unisoft
Up to speed
Message 63 of 87
Flag for a moderator

mikewarren23 wrote:
I'm not sure what changed, but I've gone from getting on avererage 60mbps to consistantly achieving 220mbps all times of the day! Very happy now!!!

Single thread or 'speedtest.net' multi-thread for download speed tests?

It's single thread that counts.

0 Kudos
Tracy6
Tuning in
Message 64 of 87
Flag for a moderator

They really have no clue about the service they provide.....this is today's message from them......

"With awesome Virgin Fibre, you've been able to stream, game, listen and watch to your heart's content. And if you download our Virgin Media WiFi app, you could enjoy smooth, speedy WiFi out and about, at 1000s of hotspots all over the UK. Go you..."

0 Kudos
ferguscowper17
Joining in
Message 65 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I have a 200mpbs contract with Virgin Media, I am currently getting around 3/5 mpbs on average, at lowest 1!!! 

You can see the evidence on the photo, which was a wired connection at that speed. 

I can never get through to virgin any help would be very much helpful. 

My bill is due and I feel it is unfair to pay the full amount when I am not even hitting close to the 200mpbs mark... and I live in the London area. 

Fergus 20170720_211739.jpg

0 Kudos
Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 66 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Fergus: the process is actually fairly simple but you have to take ownership of it (they will never offer a reduction themselves). Get through to Customer Retentions, complain strongly, mention that if you are not properly compensated then you will request a Deadlock Letter and forward this + complaing to CISAS. Factor in loss of catch up services etc (if affected). Do not ever accept their standard £10 reduction - you're looking for something that properly reflects your inconvenience.

0 Kudos
foofoolabelle
On our wavelength
Message 67 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I may be a bit old fashioned but when you buy a service that is adverted as I have. 100mbs download I want to get that amount I pay for or maybe 1 to 2mbs just off. 

Now Virgin will say I get this speed (Which I don't) at off peak time.  

1: When I go and get a coffee from say Cafe Nero at lunchtime (peak time for them). Do I have to put up with half a cup of coffee and pay full price, (No I get a full cup anytime of day)

2: When I go and put on the kettle at home say at (peak time 8pm) do I only get half the electricity or only half the home lights get power (No)

3:  When I go and put fuel in my Car at (peak time 5pm) do I only get half the fuel and pay full price (No)

So Way with Virgin Media!?

Come on Ofcom and People No other industry would be aloud under Law to get away with this.   

dimpase
Joining in
Message 68 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I have a very similar picture on a 100 Mbps contract in Oxford, even a bit slower. It used to work great for a while, in the past few weeks it seems impossible to get normal download speeds. 

What is this, I wonder:

1. a deliberate throttling of download speed on VM's side
  2. a technical setup error on VM's side (how on Earth uploads are faster than downloads, this is rather unusual)

0 Kudos
foofoolabelle
On our wavelength
Message 69 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I have made a fuss and someone come out turn a knob in the box or phone someone and for a week or so I get great internet. Then Virgin think I've stopped keeping an eye out and they put it back to bad.

Because Virgin can get away with it, it will. I think your Number 1 is spot on. Number 2 aswell because lets cut costs, cut good people, employ cheap and keep the profits. Sad but very true in lots of bussiness now.
dimpase
Joining in
Message 70 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I just managed to get through to VM on the phone, and they told me to reset the hub (Super Hub 2) to factory settings - and perhaps they did something on their side, too. After that, the download speed went back up to what it used to be, over 70mbps.

Perhaps they have pushed a bad firmware update to my hub, I don't know. (I didn't touch the hub's settings for over a year).

0 Kudos