Menu
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 86 (1,491 Views)

Re: Can your CEO fix my connection too?

Funny how they can pull out all the stops when they want /are forced to.

What happened to all the lame excuses about review dates, council planning permission and the dog ate my homework? 🤔

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 12 of 86 (1,488 Views)

all that shows is the area that had problems were already being worked on. it can still take months/years depending on work needed.
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 13 of 86 (1,487 Views)

So why have you moved this question in here?

don't bother, I already know the answer.  It normally takes you guys a week to respond, so how come you find the resources to do this so quickly.  Oh yes, there appears to be a parallel here with your CEO's apparent focus, ie do anything to save face in the light of public scrutiny.  

So, can I take it that you have no intention of expediting solutions for your other customers?

i suppose I had better give watchdog a call

On our wavelength
Message 14 of 86 (1,490 Views)

BBC watchdog !!

[ Edited ]
If those people on the show got their broadband sorted then why can't we . The Ceo of virgin said they don't target places where they can't get correct speeds that's lies . Where I live they knew the speed wasn't correct and still called door to door to sell 200mpbs . I want my broadband fixed now if they got it fixed then why can't we do we need to get on watchdog as well
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 86 (1,479 Views)

I Have never, ever, had a problem streaming the BBC on my computer, until it hit 8pm, funny that

******************************************************************************************************************************
All the voices in my head are my own voices - Find your own!

If I have helped you then please click on the "thumbs up" icon.

If you feel I have helped to solve your problem then please mark my message as a "Helpful Answer"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 16 of 86 (1,478 Views)

becuase there are 2 teams. One if mod team that monitor the forum and edit. delete and manage the posts.

The other team is the VM team that can take 5-7 days to reply
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 86 (1,474 Views)

[ Edited ]
JPL8 wrote:
Funny how they can pull out all the stops when they want /are forced to.

What happened to all the lame excuses about review dates, council planning permission and the dog ate my homework? 🤔

Very often planning permission is genuinely needed and can hold things up for a few months. Usually it's for the CMTS site which may need additional power supplies, air conditioning upgrades, or even physical extensions to house new equipment. But in my area the utilisation problem started in January 2015 and the planning permission was only requested 18 months later in June 2016. In total it took 23 months to resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 18 of 86 (1,462 Views)

So where is the answer to the first part of my question? You appear to be very well informed, but that piece of information is notable by its absence.
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 19 of 86 (1,438 Views)

apcyberax wrote:
all that shows is the area that had problems were already being worked on. it can still take months/years depending on work needed.

Well, that's certainly an amazing coincidence that they managed to fix all those problems with all those customers from all different parts of the country all at once and all just in time for the Watchdog programme. Pretty much incredible, really.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
Up to speed
Message 20 of 86 (1,437 Views)

Re: Broadband Speed: Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]

Mr Mockridge, upgrade those River Delta/Motorola CMTS - its causing severe degradation of once excellent speeds and where is that HUB 3.0 firmware fix for latency months after Intel released it!

Yes, now CEO Mr Mockridge was on BBC Watchdog tonight (see BBC iPlayer if interested, oh perhaps you have streaming issues on VM) - perhaps his team will now get their finger out and sort F005337427 out. Going on since last year this fault although FINALLY given an F code a month ago.

Dover, Temple Ewell, River and Kearsney in Kent used to have excellent Virgin Media services with no slowdown during peak or off peak. It was a text book example of how VM should work for years. Thinkbroadband now also finally noticed this in speed tests

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7754-we-look-deeper-into-the-performance-variations-virgin-media...

Its gone downhill at an alarming rate since around end of 2016!

Initially SNR issues the networks team couldn't be bothered fixing at the green cabinet (confirmed by them) then something happened, its been alleged QOS changes. The SNR issues fixed themselves over time during 2016, probably because of other work on the network or faulty equipment removed. These are not an issue now and neither are power levels.

Basically all these places mentioned are on 12 down stream channels provided by CMTS River Delta (Motorola) and we now have a fabulous 1-6mbps service when downloading any files over HTTP in a web browser. Latency used to be low, but is creeping up to 32-59ms instead of 7-16ms as previously.

Nobody gives a toss in VM quite frankly. Been with VM since 2008 and now considering dumping the service to go to FTTC even if its lower, its fast and no latency in my area. I have GAMER 200, not because I am a gamer, but because it was alleged lower latency when initially advertised and no traffic management and a 20mbps upstream, oh yes, often my upstream speed test is faster than my downstream but even that took a dive last night to 1.3mbps. ANY file downloads are slow over HTTP when they used to be 20MBPS from providers with lots of bandwidth (Microsoft, Apple, Intel, BBC, Nvidia).

I am in an area that has never suffered utilisation and confirmed by VM engineers so its NOT because of that. I also have had a Superhub 2AC (which had no problems with in modem mode) and then a HUB 3.0 which has the awful latency issue (in addition to standard network latency increase in this area). The speed issue affected Superhub 2AC, which WAS giving like 20MBPS (megabytes) on a file download on VIVID 200 before changing to Gamer 200 and having a HUB 3.0 so not modem related for the speed issue.

I've kept a running log for weeks on thinkbroadband - speed tests showing single thread downloads and a BQM of two addresses; one in Temple Ewell on GAMER 200 and one in Dover on 50mbps, a few miles apart. BOTH addresses have this issues and the same CMTS and it does not matter what operating system is used on a computer - Mac OS Sierra, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (1703 build).

This is so incredibly easy to reproduce at any time of day that the CEO is more than welcome to come and see it for himself!!!!! I am not making this up.

virginspeeds.JPG

Graph from thinkbroadband showing the two top areas for speed at bottom of graph with the current worst speeds at the top with 2.2 or more. See the thinkbroadband link given above for more detail.

0 Kudos