Menu
Message 3 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed: Discussion Thread

Hi

This is a thread to combine any comments and conversations about our broadband speed in light of the current media coverage.

Please keep this on-topic, and don't post in this thread asking for assistance - instead please read our article about How to check your Broadband speed first, and then if needs be, + Post a question

Thanks

Your Community Moderators

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Watchdog

Virgin is about to get the Watchdog treatment with its internet speeds and selling to customers in over utilised areas...

Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it just me or is VM plagued by over sold services, so called over utilisation faults, see inside..

Ignition wrote:

Ignition wrote:

Just FYI I am trying to help with this as I have other things in the past. While I may not provide you the catharsis of displaying your complaints in public I have the right connections in the media and technical organisations to make things happen.

Perhaps I should just start a thread here and soak up the kudos rather than actually getting things done?

This is going to be a fun month. Some people need to lube up and brace themselves.

Sorry it was later than I was expecting.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/bbc-watchdog-tv-show-slaps-virgin-media-slow-broadband-...

Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed: Discussion Thread

I'll be happy to start.

This is symptomatic of the outsourcing of various operations within the company, including sending the NMCs and other network operations to Ericsson, increasing reliance for business as usual work on contractors, meaning when they complete their contracts they take their expertise with them, and the lack of coherence within the business that this creates.

Poor record keeping has been around since time immemorial. Changing how the business operated removed the ability to rely on experienced, motivated staff to mitigate it.

Many of the causes of the capacity issues would have been perfectly evident had having experienced, permanent staff been placed at more of a premium. 

There have been drives to reduce operational expenditure for a long time. Liberty took it to the next level and things like this are the result. It doesn't actually help as the business ends up throwing money at the PR and operational problems to try and remedy them.

The experience of Virgin Media staff should be more respected within the group as a whole. The UK and Ireland are markets where usage is high, prices are moderately high and expectations are high. Just because there's not a mass of fibre to the home in the UK is not a licence to treat it with lower priority than other nations. That said it's also quite fair not to have ridiculous thresholds where networks are allowed to visibly degrade severely at peak times before you even start the process of upgrade. The business in the UK has for too long clung to the 'our speeds' page and the regulatory requirement to just have 10% of the customer base hit top speed in order to permit advertising. Now that looks like it's going to change in a big way, again, the business is having to throw money at remedying the issues.

Cutting spending then having to engage in expensive crisis management is a dumb way to run a business and a cycle that's been going on in UK cable for far too long. Enough already. Focus on not having any visible contention on the network at all, launch upgrades at an earlier stage, preferably before they are a problem, and try and always ensure that capacity relief doesn't involve years of planning and work when it is needed.

I suspect however that everything I've said above is preaching to the converted and most of it has been addressed with the rest bouncing off the bean counters at group level.

I've been banging on about this for years but advertising in a similar manner to Comhem in Sweden has a lot going for it. The network is capable of delivering a manner of speed 'guarantee' and there is no excuse for customers to be hitting less than half their speed at peak times.

https://www.comhem.se/bredband/

I'm sorry that this means there may be a huge chunk of capacity left unused for a good part of the time but that's ultrafast broadband for you - see the words of my good friend Andy Furnell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9J6pEAU50M

Get DOCSIS 3.1 ready to go so that heavy users can be shifted on to it in the immediate term, relieving the 3.0 network, and in the short term gigabit speeds are available. Larger scale FTTP at gigabit speeds is coming, and it's coming soon. Either steal a march and get there first with widespread gigabit and higher quality on the 3.1 or lose out. The Borg may not appreciate the UK asking for more money after the problems with Lightning but for better or worse we seem to be entering a period where, despite recession, etc, possibly looming, wallets are opening to invest in infrastructure.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/CITY/13284175.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/11/openreach-aims-accelerate-broadband-upgrades-talks-bt...

That'll be pro rata 120GBP per hour. You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Rancid
Up to speed
Message 5 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Discuss what exactly ?

VM have known all along what the situation is.
the fact Watch Dog are giving you a bashing on TV has little to do with anything.

Area 21 SW16 crap speeds for 12+ Months... current fault F004332018, Complaint COM101113771 Ignored, VM code of conduct Ignored... Avoid VM at all costs
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 6 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Your CEO said your sales agents have been re-briefed , When i signed up 12-18 months ago i was told everything was great and would get my 100mbps 24/7?

Sadly this wasn't the case , 6 months later the issue was finally fixed , for other users the issue is still ongoing!

Since Watchdog have been onto VM - You have fixed the reported customers connection's - when are you going to sort the rest out in quick time?

greyman
Superfast
Message 7 of 87
Flag for a moderator

The CEO effectively trying to pass the blame onto the sales staff, when ultimately he should take the responsibility for knowing exactly what is going on in the company does not exactly cover him in glory. I know that his email account has received a large number of complaints and although I wouldn't expect that he read any of them, with some poor customer relations employees having to make the resulting calls, I would expect that he would have been made aware of what I was told by one of said poor employees about an increasing number of over-utilisation complaints. Also, surely he should be taking regular status reports on each part of the network and again, those would have pointed to the need for some corrective action.

If I read his comments correctly, part of VM's response will be to never over claim on their download speeds, suggesting that 100Mbps would be the norm. You will have to forgive me, but I am currently only paying for a 50Mbps connection, having downgraded from 200Mbps, when VM had given me an infamous "review date" several months into the future. Given that, during peak time, I am currently only getting single figure download speeds and often less than 5Mbps, that would still leave me as a regular contributor to this forum.

I will watch this evening's programme with interest, but let's say I am not overly optimistic about a resolution, any time soon. It will be good if they do stop signing new customers up in already congested areas, as that should stop the problem getting any worse, if it could, and might actually speed up the apparently much-needed investment in their network.

spm
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Blaming sales agents doesn't help.

VM continue to sell online in areas hit by utilisation issues. They continue to offer upgrades which they can't deliver when affected users log on to their account.

I see no commitment from VM to stop selling broadband to new customers or upgrades to existing customers in areas affected by utilisation faults. They continue to blatantly sell something they can't deliver, which must surely make utilisation faults even worse.

I see no commitment to improve planning and capacity to prevent utilisation problems, to spot trouble brewing and take action before we see the shocking impact of their failures. If there are long lead times involved, start the process early.

There is no transparency. We don't see utilisation faults when we check the service status. We get no information about what they are really doing to try to address specific faults. No dates for when various actions are completed. Just vauge Review Dates. We have to complian persistently to get any kind of action. This should be automatic.

They do need to train their Indian call centre staff to understand customer complaints and to act accordingly, even if is just to offer accurate information and offer a discount.

Will any of this happen? I doubt it.

Today's media reports will be quickly forgotten, so I expect they'll just tough it out rather than do the right thing. Losing customers is one way to solve utilisation problems.
KeithW
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 87
Flag for a moderator

ModTeam wrote:

Hi

This is a thread to combine any comments and conversations about our broadband speed in light of the current media coverage.

Please keep this on-topic, and don't post in this thread asking for assistance - instead please read our article about How to check your Broadband speed first, and then if needs be, + Post a question

Thanks

Your Community Moderators

How about you appropriately name the thread and put it in a forum where it is likely to been seen by more members of the forum

Something with both Watchdog &BBC in the title would be good.

Given the fact the you have moved various appropriately name threads and hidden here I feel my request is likely to fall on deaf ears 

******************************************************************************************************************************
All the voices in my head are my own voices - Find your own!

If I have helped you then please click on the "thumbs up" icon.

If you feel I have helped to solve your problem then please mark my message as a "Helpful Answer"

greyman
Superfast
Message 10 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Can your CEO fix my connection too?

I've just been watching Watchdog and you CEO has just said that the people on the program have had their connections fixed.

As that would appear to suggest that over-utilisation problems might not be as hard to fix as VM have been telling me for the last 6 months or so, can I now take it that your newly found fixing skills can be similarly applied to my connection and those of the other long-suffering peeps on this forum?