Menu
Jonno666
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband SNR/Utilisation issue Fault No F003928986

Hi - I left VM Broadband in February 2016 after experiencing ongoing performance issues which eventually were admitted by VM and referred to under the Remedy Number F003928986 - essentially a SNR/utilisation issue, otherwise known as 'VM Broadband having been oversold in the area and performance would not improve until lots of people left, or VM upgraded the network capacity'. The increase in network capacity was promised many times with the 'fix date' always slipping farther into the future.  A year down the line I would very much like to return to VM for the 200mb service, but want to be sure that the network capacity improvement has been delivered and I can expect a reliable 200mbps service. Is there anyway of verifying this before signing up, please? I am in Surbiton, Surrey, KT6. many thanks! Jonno 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband SNR/Utilisation issue Fault No F003928986

Jonno,

I hate to say it, but whatever the status of that particular Fault No., I think it is relatively unlikely that you will find the situation much better than it was a year ago, and even if it is, then it is unlikely to stay that way for long.

If F003928986 has been cleared, I would ask VM to tell you what speed they expect you to get, as your premises in peak evening times, before signing up to anything.

I'm trying to get hold of a complete list of these kind of tickets, and information on their history and the detailed plans to resolve them. In the meantime I've started making a list, as people mention them here and elsewhere. So do you know when F003928986 was raised, what fix date they were quoting when you left in Feb 2016, and any other info about the "fault" or "remedy"

Although I hope I'm wrong, I very much fear that we if we do ever get to see a full list of contention F00's, it will confirm suspicions that much of the VM network is grossly overloaded, and that - here's the thing - the explosive increase in demand which is happening now may mean that it is not physically possible for VM to expand capacity quickly enough, year on year, to prevent major ongoing problems for many users.

Out of interest, a couple of questions:

1) which ISP did you go to, what headline speed are you buying, and what are you actually getting?

2) if you come back to VM and buy the 200Mbs, what speed would be prepared to live with in peak evening times?

p.s. is 'VM Broadband having been oversold in the area and performance would not improve until lots of people left, or VM upgraded the network capacity'. a quote from someone if so 'd like to know who.

I'm almost certainly going to leave now. I'm in TW11, I'm told that F003508185 raised in Jan 2015 is my magic number. It's "fix date" just went to the right again by 4 months. I buy the 50M service, currently 1Mb or less on many evenings. 30kb is not uncommon.

Very best of luck,

Alan

0 Kudos

All Replies
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Jonno,

I hate to say it, but whatever the status of that particular Fault No., I think it is relatively unlikely that you will find the situation much better than it was a year ago, and even if it is, then it is unlikely to stay that way for long.

If F003928986 has been cleared, I would ask VM to tell you what speed they expect you to get, as your premises in peak evening times, before signing up to anything.

I'm trying to get hold of a complete list of these kind of tickets, and information on their history and the detailed plans to resolve them. In the meantime I've started making a list, as people mention them here and elsewhere. So do you know when F003928986 was raised, what fix date they were quoting when you left in Feb 2016, and any other info about the "fault" or "remedy"

Although I hope I'm wrong, I very much fear that we if we do ever get to see a full list of contention F00's, it will confirm suspicions that much of the VM network is grossly overloaded, and that - here's the thing - the explosive increase in demand which is happening now may mean that it is not physically possible for VM to expand capacity quickly enough, year on year, to prevent major ongoing problems for many users.

Out of interest, a couple of questions:

1) which ISP did you go to, what headline speed are you buying, and what are you actually getting?

2) if you come back to VM and buy the 200Mbs, what speed would be prepared to live with in peak evening times?

p.s. is 'VM Broadband having been oversold in the area and performance would not improve until lots of people left, or VM upgraded the network capacity'. a quote from someone if so 'd like to know who.

I'm almost certainly going to leave now. I'm in TW11, I'm told that F003508185 raised in Jan 2015 is my magic number. It's "fix date" just went to the right again by 4 months. I buy the 50M service, currently 1Mb or less on many evenings. 30kb is not uncommon.

Very best of luck,

Alan

0 Kudos
Jonno666
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alan

Many thanks for you thoughts - and after looking back over my notes about the previous issues I had with VM, and also looking through some of the recent comments on the Community boards, i've decided too pass on VM.

To answer your questions....

I'm with BT - on the 'up to 52mbps' service, which generally delivers 51mbps. Speed is not the whole picture for me - it is the resilience of the connection as I often need to work at home, using VPN & VoIP. VM used to suffer massively with packet loss which made both VPN & VoIP unstable, whereas with BT I do seem to get a stable connection pretty well the whole time.

I am only really motivated to look around as of late I am noticing the BT service is occasionally stalling in the late afternoons and evenings, and this I again put down to a network capacity issue - as you rightly say demand is exploding.

As alternatives, I would not consider other last mile providers - they all rely on the core Openreach infrastructure (except VM and a few other localised niche services) and whilst BT/Openreach are far from perfect, I am of the opinion that third party providers will only add a layer of degradation of service with further complications when trying to resolve issues - all too easy for them to point the finger at other possible points of failure.

Regarding my quotes on over selling and people leaving - my day job has me dealing nationally and internationally with Telcos so I pick up snippets here and there - would not want to assign credit for the comments to anyone in-particular.

I think there is hope for the future - albeit a way off....once 5G starts to materialise I believe the fixed line networks will have to up their game to compete with Over the Air (OTA) delivery, but as I say, that is some time off and I suspect that the 5G costs will be very high initially - and coverage very limited. Some of the 'lab test' results on 5G are spectacular - needs a lot of work to translate to the real world though.

As a business, I am already deploying line of sight OTA data links (with varying degrees of success!) - these have the benefit of speed of deployment as you don't need wayleaves, new fibre installations etc.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you when F003928986 was originally raised, but the fix date kept slipping further into the distance every time I enquired, and by the time I left in Feb 2016 I believe it was noted as May 2016.       

Best of luck with your future connectivity - its a gamble as properties that are next door to each other and on the same ISP can have vastly different experiences - partly down to the path their individual connections take on the way to the street cabinet, and even if they go back to the same street cabinet.

cheers

Jonno

0 Kudos