Menu
TheCrell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Extreme Slow Speeds post 8pm

Every single evening after 8pm our DOWNLOAD speeds appear to be throttled from ~150Mbps to LESS THAN 1Mbps download speed in some instances (note that our upload speed is higher than this when it happens). This is so bad that we cannot have more than 1 device using the internet at once every single night. Given that we pay for 152Mbps and the traffic management says download speeds should not be affect, and that the price of our package is increasing in and above inflation on a regular basis with no improving in the service (I would suggest it is actually getting worse), I am considering leaving to another provider.

Could somebody give me some guidance on this, please? I highly doubt that peak time use throttles download speed to below 5% of the expected speed.

Thanks. 

Helpful Answers
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Extreme Slow Speeds post 8pm

It's probably over utilisation (Have a look through this forum.). Too many people wanting to use too much bandwidth at peak times. VM take a long time to upgrade their infrastructure. Over a year isn't uncommon.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.

All Replies
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

well in this case they don't in peek hours due to high utilization thats when everyone come online and it effects it on fibre connections from virgin media and download speeds go down.

go to online chat with them and try and get goodwill untill they sort out this high utilization problem

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
TheCrell
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, however, this has been going on for a few months now and just how much use would be needed in my area to reduce speeds from 152Mbps to 1-2Mbps every single evening. We have dealt with it for a while as we couldn't get any joy from the call centers, but the most recent increase in our bill has been the straw that has broken the camels back (so to say). 

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's probably over utilisation (Have a look through this forum.). Too many people wanting to use too much bandwidth at peak times. VM take a long time to upgrade their infrastructure. Over a year isn't uncommon.

TheCrell
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Oh my. I haven't even heard the term be used in any of my dealings with CS, but looking through the topics that does seem to be consistent with what we are experiencing. That is very unfortunate and appears there may be no choice but to find another provider - though hopefully somebody in the forum team can tell me otherwise and fix it, if over-subscription isn't the issue.

Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
Dosser
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I'm from BD2 area,  we're having exactly the same issue,  download speeds right down to 1Mb during peak hours,  yet upload speeds unaffected.    I've run tests and were getting major spikes in latency all day, and packet loss, and between 7pm & 10pm in the evening its almost total unusable.  Its been going on over a week now, but has been bad for ages. 

I rang Virgin 150 earlier, and they said its because they're upgrading the network for DOCSIS 3.0 support (for 200Mb+ speed), and loads of users are effected.     They're going to refund me for lack of service, for November, but have to ring again for December.  

He's said the work will be ongoing until December 28th.    That's all I could get out of him.   We might be like this for next couple of months, or I guess it might be ok anytime.  

Can't say I'm pleased.   My sons can't play video games in the evenings, which means my life is barely worth living.   

2016-11-09.png

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like another one with over utilisation (Dosser). Those dates that you've been given are Review Dates, NOT Fix Dates. The Offshore call centre's scripts tell them to say that it's a fix date. Probably a good idea to start your own thread, and wait for a VM staff member to get back to you (Current waiting time, 1-2 weeks.). Also, type BD2 into the search box at the top of this page. Plenty of posts about your area.

Dosser
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, I've started a thread, and i'll do a search.
0 Kudos
Bighughie
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar problem, whereby speed drops to 1-2 Mbps from 150 - 160 recently.  I haven't investigated until today, but resetting the router always seems to fix it.

I have all sorts of other - I am sure unelated Tivo issues and will be taking up with VM shortly because although it is an easy fix - it should not happen on a daily basis.

Pretty fed up with the attitude of some of their stupid support staff

0 Kudos
RossMaden
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why is this marked as the answer - it's not an answer.  VM need to see how many customers are without service. I don't care how much they promise it will be fixed "in a month". They aren't reaching out to customers to let them know the impact of their terrible ability to scale to the service they want to provide.

0 Kudos