Menu
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Beyond pathetic! FIVE megs on a 200Mbps connection. Time to leave I think. :(

Seriously VM? It's getting worse and worse, and every time I raise it I'm told there's no fault, or else it's completely ignored (forum posts) and  gets no answer. FIVE MEGS on a 200Mbps connection, and even then you still manage to have the single threaded speed significantly lower than even that. What the heck? 

Our local network is top of the range (Linux and OS X, enterprise grade network kit, cat6 ethernet, all Intel gigabit NICs) and even trying the SH3 in modem mode only helped a little bit. I can positively rule out the LAN, especially when it will give 210Mbps/13Mbps at around 3am at least half the nights of the week.

This really is a joke. Is there a fault reference for the area, an ongoing issue, congestion, or SOMETHING to explain this mess? I despair. I'll be speaking to Sky tomorrow I think while we're out of contract with VM. You'd think with the money we pay VM would at least have the courtesy to reply and sort out the network. Smiley Sad

Please ignore the two full red packet loss bars earlier today (5am and 8.30am); they were when the modem was unplugged at our end because I was trying to troubleshoot ridiculous yo-yo low speeds (at 4am!!) thinking it can't possibly be congestion at that time. That certainly doesn't explain the nonsense on the graph tonight and all the other packet loss. I have graphs going back almost a year and they're worse and worse as time goes by.  Smiley Sad  I'd kill for a solid 75/20 right now. Yay FTTC.

69c92baeb0d8f5f57b4227120a9d7bc3

RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beyond pathetic! FIVE megs on a 200Mbps connection. Time to leave I think. :(

Just before you ask (I'm screenshotting as I post sorry, I'm annoyed with it now):

d8a4e59fcf35ffda6a961f11495aea60

f57ef4a5351ade2b4b2d13c8752b625b

cd059b66db0bb99226bf952259e13847

d1eee624cde1805ac46fdb4039d8c0aa

All these are borne out by real world tests. I've tried multi-threaded downloads (10 connections) to several Linux ISO mirrors (University of Kent, Bytemark, etc) for Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE et al and they all cap around 20 megs atm. This just isn't cricket for a connection headlined at 10x that speed. I did notice we had a new extra upstream channel today (3 instead of 2, still 16 QAM), perhaps it's related? Still on the older firmware btw (not the new port flap fix one yet). 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beyond pathetic! FIVE megs on a 200Mbps connection. Time to leave I think. :(

Hi RainmakerRaw, 

Thank you for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your speeds and connection. 

I have taken a look and I can't see why the connection should be doing the things it has been doing on that TBB Graph although there could have been an issue that has now been resolved. Is the connection any better during non-peak hours now? 

Apart from fault ref F004777165 for slow speeds at peak times which we discussed on another post things seem to be ok. 

Is the trouble you are having outside of peak times hours? 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Emma,

Sincere thanks for taking time to follow this up and get back to me. The severe issues posted here did indeed go away after a couple of days (a resolved fault or bad peering, perhaps?). The service is now back to mostly full speed off-peak (meaning 1am to about 5am) but still quite bad the rest of the time. I am still seeing a lot of packet loss, but nothing as severe as posted in the OP above. Here is today's graph.

44364f83d26fd6e7eada77bd9134a6ec.png

Hopefully VM finally get around to easing congestion in this area in the next few months, else I really will have no alternative. Paying for a service you can get if you stay awake between 1am and 5am is obviously ridiculous! Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi RainmakerRaw,

Thanks for getting back in touch with me so quickly. I have taken a further look as you mentioned previous faults and it got me wondering if there had been. 

I have found there was a change ticket open at that time, ref C00769315, the engineers carried out a 'Splitter Replacement' which seems to be an improvement to the connection. 

The team who deal with the slow speed issues will continue to keep you updated on the progress of that fault. 

Fingers crossed we will have a resolution to it soon. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

As a last ditch effort before we switch to Sky's new Black Friday deal, can you let me know whether there's someone senior we can speak to about our account? We are out of contract, on VIVID 200, XL TV, M phone with an extra V+ box in the bedroom. We were paying ~£40 a month but this has now gone up to £66 after a new customer discount expired last month. 

I wanted to add Homeworks+ for the extra upload (we use iCloud and other remote backup regularly, as well as uploading various Linux kernel patches etc). I have spent an HOUR on the phone (a single phone call) to retentions, then TSC, then customer resolutions (retentions again?) and been told the following:

They've never heard of Homeworks+ (oops we've found it but it's a trial in your area, nobody else has it), we're still in contract (oops no you're not sorry), you have no discounts (oops yes you do sorry), we can't add anything... Oh yes we can. Wait... Sorry, we can add Homeworks (but we can't access Homeworks+) and do you a deal to stop you moving to Sky. It's £10 more than you pay now.

What in the name of all that is holy? I pointed out I could get that 'deal' myself through MyVirginMedia, but he said it's impossible to pay less than £67 a month even with our existing package with no changes if we sign a new contract, even though we pay less than that now while not in contract. I confirmed that we're definitely out of contract, so VM's best offer is please sign a new contract and pay more than you do now (rather than stay on a rolling contract and pay less)? The answer was yes, pay more in contract, pay less on monthly rolling, or else I suggest you move to Sky.

Um... OK? Is this really what VM customer service has sunk to? Calling Sky as I type, but I was hoping you might have a last ditch idea for someone with a bit of authority to sort this ridiculous mess?

Cheers.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey there RainmakerRaw,

Thanks for getting back in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry we've not replied sooner, we're very busy at the moment.

I would be more than happy to ask one of my colleagues to take a look into your package for you if this is what you'd like? If that's the case, please drop me a PM and I'll do everything I can to help.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J, thanks for your kind offer but I've already processed a complaint through the CEO's office and had a satisfactory resolution. All the best for Christmas and the new year. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey RainmakerRaw,

Thanks for letting me know Smiley Very Happy

Glad to hear this has been resolved!

You know where we are if you need anything else.

All the best,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Heather_J wrote:

You know where we are if you need anything else.

Hi again,

There is something, actually. Would someone please be able to book in an engineer visit, to save me having to try to convince tier 1 on the phone? Or perhaps it's possible for you to directly send out a replacement hub to replace a faulty unit? I strongly believe our SH3 is faulty and that may explain the issues raised in this thread. I have been tearing my hair out again after the problems I've previously listed returned yesterday, and even now it's off peak (it's 2.30am or so as I start typing this) I was trying various real-world speed tests (NNTP/newsgroups, Ubuntu 16.10 torrent, various speed test sites) and seeing the same weird low speed issue.

No matter what method I tried, I'm pulling 26MB/sec for a few seconds, then the speed crashes to 2MB/sec then 500KB/sec (!) and then back to 25MB/sec. Other times it just stays very low (e.g. 2 MB/sec) and then slowly drops to nothing and stays there.

I tried to reboot the hub (it's in modem mode) but the restart button just logs me out of the webUI without actually restarting the hub. I can log back in and hit reboot (and then confirm) as many times as I like, but it just logs me back out of the UI and nothing actually gets restarted. The button has worked in the past but not recently (at least the last couple of weeks), despite no firmware updates (I'm still on 9.1.88T). I had to hard reset the hub in the end (it had an uptime of 5 days) and boom... Full speeds on all tests, no drops to 2MB/sec then 512KB/sec, perfect! This very same thing happened last week - several days uptime without issue then the speeds go to hell until I power off the hub and reboot it.

It's definitely not a local setup issue, I promise (I'm a systems administrator). I've reproduced this 'tumbling speed problem' on Linux (4.9 kernel), FreeBSD 11, macOS Sierra and Windows 10 across various devices including when using gigabit ethernet wired directly. A reboot of the hub fixes it for a few more days until it slowly dies away and the problem returns. It's definitely the hub or something else VM-side.

I had the exact same issue with a SH2 at a previous address and the engineer said one of the chips inside the hub was probably dead, which happens from time to time. He issued a new hub and everything was fine after that. I do think this current hub must be faulty, but try explaining the above to India and see what they say haha. They just don't have the technical expertise.

I've attached a thumbnail showing a speed test now that the hub was rebooted. Perfect 26MB/sec solid as you can see. Before the hub reboot that was showing peak 25MB/sec, but the graph looked like this: /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ with the average speed being just 2MB/sec. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 03.04.30.png

Having just remembered ThinkBroadband keep a history of your recent tests if you're logged in, here is one from before the hub was rebooted, while the problem was ongoing. As you can see the x6 speed starts off high then trails right off, just like in real world downloads:

bad.png

Then after the hub reboot, it's great again (ignoring the annoying single thread speed issue):

better.png

Rinse and repeat every few days... Smiley Sad

So if someone would please very kindly book an engineer or dispatch a replacement hub with a return label for the faulty one, I would be very grateful indeed. If it helps, our upstream SNR is now 50.8 on both channels, I'm not sure this is in spec? 

Kind regards.

0 Kudos