Menu
AAEG
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Best alternative to Virgin Broadband?

After being told my 50mps connection will be around 2mps for another 3 months I'm ready to jump ship (unless Virgin suddenly get their act together), so I'm on the lookout for a broadband provider who offers and delivers good speed and a reliable service. Any recommendations? Thanks.

0 Kudos
stobbsie
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best alternative to Virgin Broadband?

i too was with this diabolical company for 4 years nearly 2 of which i would loose 97% of my speed after 5pm down to just 3mbps and i can tell you this forum was created to give false hope and to fob people off with random resolution dates purely to stop people from cancelling .

i am in no way affiliated with bt in any way but i can tell you there infinity 2 package is amazing ,i am on the 72mb package and the speed is constant  its perfect for gaming ,run a speed test my ping is 1 ,playing online in battlefield 4  i ping at 9 highest ping during peak time 14.

you will go round and round with them telling you it will be fixed and it will not i would suggest ANY BROADBAND PROVIDER OVER VIRGIN .

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Aside from virgin they use the same tech, so pick a provider you like and a price you like.

BT would be my personal choice as they own the lines, talktalk etc all just rent the lines per say and if there are any issues they will just blame BT. Whereas if there are issues on BT the onus is on them to fix it.

Unless you are in a hyperoptic area. Get them if you are in one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
AAEG
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys, sounds like BT is the way to go. Is it relatively pain-free to switch provider? Anyone else want to chime in on who's the best provider? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:
Aside from virgin they use the same tech, so pick a provider you like and a price you like.

BT would be my personal choice as they own the lines, talktalk etc all just rent the lines per say and if there are any issues they will just blame BT. Whereas if there are issues on BT the onus is on them to fix it.

Technically the lines are owned by Openreach who must operate independently and not favour BT.

BT is good but expensive for what you get. Sky is just as good and if you have their TV (or are willing to switch from Virgin TV) then it's worth taking their broadband too for the best combined price. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cje85 wrote:

Shafreya wrote:

Technically the lines are owned by Openreach who must operate independently and not favour BT.

BT is good but expensive for what you get. Sky is just as good and if you have their TV (or are willing to switch from Virgin TV) then it's worth taking their broadband too for the best combined price. 

It was more the back/forth companies get blaming each other for faults and saying who's feet it lies at, which is where the issue would lie there. Where as when its a fault on BT, its a BT company / another BT company so the blame lies with BT so they get it sorted quicker (in my opinion)

Nothing to do with favoritism, just corporate blame games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am going with Vodafone its nice and cheap because they don't charge line rental on their fibre packages. 

I am close to the cab so can get the full 76Mbps and my min guaranteed speed is 73Mbps so all good there.

I won't pay top price for broadband again its not worth it.

0 Kudos
dejavus
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Give Plusnet a try, its just a BT company all equipment identical to BTs.

Been with them for about 4 years..Excellent service even exceeding the Service I got from BT!

The only reason I find myself romancing Virgin is because of my distance to the exchange which means I only get 16MB on an up to 78MB fibre to cabinet connection otherwise, It's excellent.

I was with Plusnet and left after my contract ended to take advantage of the BT cashback regretted it and went back to Plusnet, currently with plusnet but signed up to See if Virgin can deliver the promised speed but shame!

0 Kudos