Menu
storeyboy10
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

BB slower after upgrade

I just had an upgrade from 50mb to 100mb. Pre upgrade I would consistently get approx 40mb down. Since the upgrade (which happened Fri morning) the down speed is very variable - 103mb / 8mb / 39mb / 30mb / 103mb / 27mb / 11mb / 86mb / 22mb - these are the Speedtest results at various times between Fri morning and this morning (Sunday.)

Is this to be expected as the new faster speed "beds down" or could there be a problem?
0 Kudos
storeyboy10
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: BB slower after upgrade

So since my first post, I have been on the phone twice with VM.

1. Monday night - reported issue, max download speed was around 20mb - often less. Reset router, ran tests, change configs etc. -  promised it would be fixed in 30 mins after speaking to engineering team - nothing changed.

2. Tonight (Thursday) - download speed now down to about 5mb - now they say there is a utilisation issue in the area - 90pc utilised between 3pm and midnight - nothing can be done until mid-Dec when they are due to lay some new lines.

What I don't understand is why I would consistency get 50mb down until last week - I pay for an upgrade to 100mb - and instantly my speed degrades down to what is now 5mb????

When I ask why they cannot explain it - suggest I call back during the day when not in a peak time - to see if they can diagnose the issue.

Has anyone else had similar issues? WHat can I do?

thanks

0 Kudos
storeyboy10
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can someone from Virgin please respond to my message and confirm the fault ID and fix date for the utilisation issues? Tonight I have 3mb down on a 100mb connection - it's virtually unusable and significantly worse Than I have ever had before
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It's roughly 1-2 weeks for a response from VM on the forums but I can say some stuff.

December date is not a fix date, it's a review date and that's all the forum team will be able to give you. Phone staffs scripts tell them it's an absolute fix date.

As to the sudden drop in speeds, you wouldn't happen to have a fair amount of students around you? As they've been coming back to uni they would be taking up BB too. It's a guess but it times right roughly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hiya storeyboy10

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection and can see the high peak time traffic fault in your area. The reference number is F004082892 and with a review date of 14th December.

Are you testing the speeds through a wired or wireless connection? Are you able to complete speed tests during off peak hours through a wired connection to see if the speeds differ please?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

storeyboy10
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have tried with and without cable. It's been virtually unusable every evening since the upgrade. Tonight I cannot even access the BBC homepage. It's useless. Please tell me the fix date is still 14/12?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The FIX date has never been 14/12. That date is only a review date and was given as such (as all VM dates are, despite phone staff scripts calling them fix dates).

As the nature of over utilization it will be the same every evening and roughly the same over the weekends too. Also over the festive period it will extend on the weekends as more and more people start their holidays.

0 Kudos
storeyboy10
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help. Is there anything else I can do? I am still confused why things suddenly got worse after my speed upgrade?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Likely the case of lots of people taking the upgrade /increasing their usage a lot. The internet all comes down the same infrastructure no matter what package you are on so nothing would of changed In that respect.

Potentially your net was already losing speed in peak times, just not enough to notice, the mass upgrade could of tipped it over the edge.

storeyboy10
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Virgin - can you confirm that the review due to happen on 14th Dec is still on track for this week?

The reference number is F004082892 and with a review date of 14th December.

0 Kudos