Menu
YodelProblems
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Awful speeds in Area 12. Not fit for purpose.

Hi,

for a few months now my download speeds have been horrifically bad at peak times. It's now not usable 7-11pm. I'm less than 2mbit/s, usually closer to 1.

I'm paying for a service that i'm not recieving. Speaking to others in the area, they all have similar issues. Will be changing providers if things don't improve very soon.

Helpful Answers
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Awful speeds in Area 12. Not fit for purpose.

Don't cancel the direct debit as you're just risking a mark against your credit rating. But do cancel the service and move to BT, Sky, PlusNet or any other fibre service in your area, if available. These peak time speed problems on Virgin Media frequently last for a year or two.

All Replies
KevLoopy
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Think its about time VM started paying out compensation 

You should be paying us for this shoddy service

YodelProblems
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Now basically unusable at home. Having to logon elsewhere. No email adress to complain. Chat not working, too busy, on hold on phone.

if nothing happens soon the direct debit is getting cancelled.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't cancel the direct debit as you're just risking a mark against your credit rating. But do cancel the service and move to BT, Sky, PlusNet or any other fibre service in your area, if available. These peak time speed problems on Virgin Media frequently last for a year or two.
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi YodelProblems, 

Thanks for the post! I am really sorry to learn about your slow download speeds that have persisted for a few months, I offer my apologies for any troubles incurred. I will do my best to help in any way I can.

I have tried to run some tests on your connection from here, but I was unable to locate any of your details via your forum account. I will need some additional information from you in order to proceed.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with diagnostics. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this gets booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Duncan, 

Thanks for responding to me!

I have run some tests on your connection from here and I can see that all of your downstream power levels are too high an an engineer will need to attend in order to resolve this for you.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

0 Kudos
carjam
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

For months I have been suffering from slow evening speeds. I made two complaints and Virgin gave me one phone call and a reset on my Router. I truly believe these services need to be monitored a lot more. I work for a managed service computer company and monitor customer environments. Surly Virgin do this as well and can see utilisation reports and be proactive to these issues or at least quick to respond. Months of poor download speeds mean we are paying for something we are not receiving and the providers do not have the systems in place to respond within an acceptable timeframe. My reference number for todays call is F004739674 and I have been told it will be a week before this issue is resolved. The problem I have is that I have been receiving these issues since we took the service on(months ago now). 

I do recall Virgin saying we had a dedicated 100mb line however we all know we share a percentage of the pipe wherever the bottleneck is. Really Unhappy that these services are not regulated and monitored better. It seems all providers are lucky in that they can just shrug it off and not pay any kind of penaltys. You might have thought that a decent ServiceLevelAgreement might be 48hr period to rectify serious issues but this have been ongoing for months now and its ridiculous.  

Merry Xmas Virgin 

carjam
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Update from CYGWIN broadband stress test for Area 12 address.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104874307 (100M) [application/zip]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null 100%[=======================================================================================================>] 100.02M 980KB/s in 2m 50s

So this is saying for a 100Megabyte file its taking 2minutes 50Seconds to download with an average download of 601 Kilobytes per second.

2016-12-18 21:07:30 (601 KB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [104874307/104874307]

Maybe its time to get two service providers for fail on fault / redundancy reasons.  

0 Kudos
carjam
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Another week passes and speeds are dropping.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104874307 (100M) [application/zip]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null 100%[===================>] 100.02M 134KB/s in 19m 55s

2016-12-28 21:25:34 (85.7 KB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [104874307/104874307]

Not even a response from Virgin as of yet. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey there carjam,

Thanks for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection problems you're experiencing due to a fault in your area.

I've tried to check the progress of the fault, but I'm unable to locate your account.

I'll quickly confirm details via PM (purple envelope, top right) and update you accordingly.

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos