Menu
Mancubus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Awful peak time speeds

So subscribed to Virgin after my estate was recently cabled and bought the 200mb package. After 3 months I have to say its one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I still have my BT infinity 2 fibre to my house until March as it was paid for upfront by work but that will terminate in March and I'm seriously condering keeping it on.

Between 2-4mb at peak times is normal and we can't even stream Netflix and Spotify at the same time. Outside of we happily get 200mb but 7-11pm its hilariously bad. Just placed a call to support and it was one of the most unprofessional responses I've ever had :

1- I had to ask the lady on the phone to request that whoever was shouting behind her to be quiet as I couldn't here her

2- She dialed into my router and simply changed the wireless channel without asking if I'm cabled (which I am)

3- Confirmed that the slow speeds I was experiencing tonight (1.8mbps) was due to high network congestion (or in my terms over subscription)

4- Could not provide an answer to my question of how is rebooting my router going to cure high network congestion?

5- Stated that faults only get looked into if a high number of complaint are received in a single area...WHAT?

6- Then hung up on me abruptly

Honestly, how bad does it get? I'm far from a complainer but 2% of my paid for bandwidth is just beyond poor but I suppose that is also reflected in the customer services experience as well by the looks of things.

Speed Test on my 200mb Vivid

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2tgMTQd.jpg[/img]

Moved the same ethernet cable from the virgin router to the BT router straight after the above

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iu7h8oz.jpg[/img]

My area is 30 for anyone interested.

nobody
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Awful peak time speeds

Mancubus
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So 1st day of logging speedtest results.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_g--B6ZfwcwDcbPi7Hzm3C4D24H1QoTk_QjGl_8Nkyo/edit?usp=sharing

Test my Virgin and BT Infinity lines with same PC and ethernet cable and just moved the cable from the Virgin router to the BT Homes

Virgin Downstream - 5.19mbps

BT Downstream - 47.05mbps

Virgin ping to Sheffield - 76ms

BT ping to Sheffield - 27ms

Called CS again who said a fault had been registered in Area 30 but I remain very sceptical and will continue logging data along with the evidence and update daily for anyone interested.

0 Kudos
Mancubus
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Last nights hilarity along with another call to CS. Instructed to wait another 24 hrs regarding fault recognition.

Congestion was acknowledged but again got no answer to my question of 'how does a fault log fix an over subscribed network'.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin

0 Kudos
Mancubus
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thought I'd update for anyone interested.

The reason I haven't updated this thread and continued with speed tests etc is that Virgin on Friday agreed to terminate my services as of 10th March. I re-iterated that I'm not wanting nor looking for any financial compensation and that I just need a stable and consistent service which my phone line based Fibre was prior to me moving to Virgin. The decision was simple for me as I had not bundled in TV and Phone with my 200mb package.

The offer of a technician to visit my home was extended but given that speeds outside of peak time were 150mb+ it was very obvious that there is nothing 'technically' wrong and that was being experienced by me and other users on my estate was nothing but contention / congestion / over subscription. Customer services and retentions both accepted that based upon what had been investigated during the previous week. I'm more than happy with this result and will write the whole experience off to a bad trial.

I genuinely feel for the CS and technical team as they are obviously trying to do the best job they can in an environment where the backbone of the services on offer is simply not fit for purpose and it is very hard for them to acknowledge just how over subscribed the network is in terms of available bandwidth.

Apart from one initial call, all my subsequent interaction with the support team has been exemplary and I cannot praise them highly enough, the product they are supporting however I have nothing but contempt for (as I'm sure they do) and my 76mb Fibre goes live on 24th Feb and I cannot wait until I can return to working from home again in the evening as and when I choose rather than having to wait until after midnight or later in order to attain a stable and suitably fast connection.

For info last night was the worst yet and even Spotify was buffering at random intervals.

Download: 2.3mbps

Upload: 0.8mbps 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mancubus,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

I'd like to apologise for the poor service you received from us, this is disappointing but I understand your reasons for cancelling.

These faults are irritating for both us and customers, and I often wish there was more I could personally do to help, but as you've mentioned, it's out of my hands.

I can't thank you enough for your patience and understanding, if there's absolutely anything else I can help with, please just ask.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos