Menu
earlybee
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Asking About Fibre To The Premises/Home

I would like to find out about the much talked about Fibre To The Premises/Home (FTTP/FTTH). Please could you kindly tell me if this is something that is in addition to Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC), or will it eventually replace FTTC?

Is it something that I could request, or is it only for certain areas where your service is not available as yet?

This is something that I have read with interest, but would like to know what your plans are concerning this, and when will it be available to everyone?

Regards

Earl Johnson

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Asking About Fibre To The Premises/Home

Virgin Media are using FTTP as part of the options they have to extend their network into new areas. This is addition to the HFC network build they already have and are extending where appropriate. HFC means a fibre connection to a local cabinet and then coaxial cable from that point.

Depending where you are you may get one or the other, but it's not something that can be requested or selected.

Even if you're in an HFC area, then the connect to the property is capable of providing all Virgin Media's current services and will be able to provide services for the foreseeable future.

Whether Virgin Media have any plans to overbuild FTTP in their existing HFC areas hasn't been announced anywhere, and at present it's not needed.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media are using FTTP as part of the options they have to extend their network into new areas. This is addition to the HFC network build they already have and are extending where appropriate. HFC means a fibre connection to a local cabinet and then coaxial cable from that point.

Depending where you are you may get one or the other, but it's not something that can be requested or selected.

Even if you're in an HFC area, then the connect to the property is capable of providing all Virgin Media's current services and will be able to provide services for the foreseeable future.

Whether Virgin Media have any plans to overbuild FTTP in their existing HFC areas hasn't been announced anywhere, and at present it's not needed.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Haplesspoet
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
We currently have a gang of VM men digging up the pavement outside our maisonette.
There is a grey box at the end of the Close and they have buried green tubes to each building.
I say green tubes because that's what they are. Greet tubes about 1cm diameter and hollow with nothing in them but a small hole about 5mm. In diameter. The men told me that the fibre cable will be pushed up each tube to each of the premises.

My questions are:
1. Shouldn't there be one tube per property not per building? (There are 4 maisonettes per building, 2 up 2 down. I notice that on the first building In the Close where the 2 front doors are clearly visible they have put 2 little black plastic access points in the pavement. But for all the rest they have only put one.) a mistake?

2. The hole in the tube is far to small for any coax I've ever seen and the guys swear it's a fibre cable that will be inserted. So is this true fttp or what?

Many thanks in advance
David
0 Kudos
chriskelly13
Just joined
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not really as a fiber optic cable can have multiple cores inside it say a fiber optic cable has 16 cores and is running single mode which I presume virgin will do then that means that there is one core per property as both transmitting and receiving data can be sent through one core using single mode.Now if virgin ran multimode then you need two cores per property one for transmitting data and one for reciving data. here is single mode vs single mode.

0 Kudos