Menu
Grumpyone
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Area 31

This is for all the long term sufferers of the appalling broadband service in area 31. After many months of dire connection speeds and monitoring this forum I was compelled to contact Virgin this morning where I spoke to a individual called Liam who could not give a tinkers cuss for the on going problems we are experiencing. His response to any question was the standard " our engineers are working on it" Well the "engineers" have been working on this issue since the end of last year and our service is still akin to dialup. This week I got a congratulatory letter from Virgin telling me my expected speed is now 200mb, I can only assume they sent it snail mail as is quicker than their current broadband. Their are many posts on the village forum about Virgin's appalling lack of service and broadband speed so it's time that all local subscribers get together and tell Virgin to stuff their dire customer and engineering service and use other providers. I for one will not be renewing my Virgin subscription and can only encourage others to do the same.

Tags (1)

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Area 31

I'm in area 31 & never have any speed problems. Area 31 encompasses most of the ex-comtel & some ex NTL franchise areas, so these are dotted about all over the place & are not in one specific area (area codes are used mainly for the VM's billing systems). If you were more specific about the town you are in (or the first part of your postcode) then issues can be narrowed down.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm in area 31 & never have any speed problems. Area 31 encompasses most of the ex-comtel & some ex NTL franchise areas, so these are dotted about all over the place & are not in one specific area (area codes are used mainly for the VM's billing systems). If you were more specific about the town you are in (or the first part of your postcode) then issues can be narrowed down.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Grumpyone
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,Thanks for the quick response the postcode is CB24 and the slow speed is experienced by most of the Virgin subscribers, so much so that there is a permanent post on the village forum about it. The slow speed is bad enough but the service dropping daily is a PITA.

0 Kudos
Ianm2585
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Postcode nn17 area 31 speed so bad cannot even change channels on TiVo box rebooting up to three times a night have been told I will get compensation from the 4th august ( initial complaint) to the 17th august ( virgins clinical repair date) but the problems have been there from when everyone got upgraded . Not happy at all call centre wouldn't even tell me when my contract was finishing would just like to speak to a person from England to find out why I am not receiving the service I am paying for and being ripped off with a broadband speed similar to dial up .

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Grumpyone, 

Welcome to the forums, apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I am sorry to see you have not had the best of times with your service and with the person you spoke to over the phone. I will get this fed back for you. 

Looking at your connection things seem to be ok from this side now. If you are still having trouble let us know and I will be more than happy to take a look for you. 

Do you find the connection any better in modem only mode

Keep me updated. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Grumpyone
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the response, and after my last experience with Virgin I was surprised to get any response far less a cordial one. Broadband speeds are up on when I previously tested them, however I'm not sure the provision is consistent as there anomaly's with pages loading and the Tivo Box is very slow on occasion. The slow page loading and buffering is consistent across several devices and operating systems. All in all it's not great and very far off the lauded 200mb.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Grumpyone

I am sorry you are still having a few slow speed problems, as Emma mentioned things are look much better in your area. I notice that most of your devices are connected by wireless and wonder if that plays a factor? We have a collection of wireless guides that may explain and help further.

If you are still having problems with the Tivo please would you start a thread here Virgin Media: TiVo® service and one of my colleagues will be happy to take a look.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Wreck
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I live in area 31 with a HP2 post code and my broadband suffers badly during peak times.

I have the ViVID200 connection and during these times even though speedtest shows 200mbs connection I cant watch any twitch.tv, youtube.com etc stream without it buffering far more than it doesn't. I get like 5 seconds of stream followed by 10 seconds of buffering non stop. We also play online games and the lag this causes makes them unplayable. I have changed computers, ethernet cable servers and constantly run ping and tracert through the command prompt and get fantastic results without any packet loss during non peak times but the second we get to 4-5pm and until after midnight Monday to Friday and then all day Saturday and Sunday the ping drops a bit but I also start getting 5 to 20% packet loss and it shows mostly on the named virginmedia hops. I have had VM for years and never had any issues until the start of the year but recently its got far worse.

I keep calling VM but to be honest its a waste of time. I have to repeat the situation every time only to be told there is no problem. On the rare occasion I do manage to get through to level 2 support they tell me that everything the level 1 support guys said is rubbish and that they cant actually make any changes that could help. level 2 then say they cant help me because in calling when its fine but when I try and call when I get issues I get to call centre in Asia where I cant understand the person and they wont move me to level 2 or say there is no one there.

I really don't know what to do apart from look for another provider.

0 Kudos
Grumpyone
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The call center in India or wherever it is is indeed crap and I'm not going to renew my contract with Virgin. I suggest you do the same. If people start leaving because of poor tech support perhaps Virgin may improve but I doubt it.

0 Kudos
JasKik
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm in area 31 and it is shocking how bad service is.

Firstly after installation box & cables hanging off the wall, phone lines cut and not reconnected until 1.5 weeks after installation

A few days later both TV and Broadband went down

Both came back on a week or so later going down but after being up for two days no broadband at all for the two weeks (router says no connection and ) . I have been told not to expect any until 30 Nov earliest. They have also told me I cannot cancel contract until I have had three service related engineer visits and they wont book any because of "the scheduled work" 

Since the area is over-subscribed, I reckon that they are still taking on new customers and that some customers are being penalised/sacrificed so that they can get new revenues in.

What-ever the case I am off as soon as I can - installation, shocking, service shocking, TIVO box - crap Customer relations useless

am in the process of reporting them to Ofcom

see below in glorious technicolour

How they left the box - no cover on abd phone not connected because the idiot had cut the spur two shortHow they left the box - no cover on abd phone not connected because the idiot had cut the spur two shortThats my old phone line as he left it - cutThats my old phone line as he left it - cutdidnt even run the cable straight along the walldidnt even run the cable straight along the wallCopy of DSC_0015.jpgSplit open a junction box, didnt even close it since he'd brken the clipsSplit open a junction box, didnt even close it since he'd brken the clipsNote how the pairs are exposed going into the boxNote how the pairs are exposed going into the box

0 Kudos