Menu
dazzlerm
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Area 31 - very slow speeds at peak time

I seem to be suffering the same problems as other area 31 customers.  At peak time my internet slows to between 2-7 mbps.  At other times i'm getting over 100mbps - unfortunately this is not when i need it most.

I've had various calls with Virgin who have gone through the normal route of testing my line, changing my wireless channel even though i was getting the same wired result etc.  I was told that there were no issues and that slow download speeds on my sky Q box were due to sky themselves and not my virgin broadband.

I'm nearly out of contract so had pretty much decided that i will now leave to BT or Sky, however, when talking about leaving someone finally mentioned that there were contention problems in my area.  This had not been mentioned on any of my previous calls where i had literally wasted hours of time.  The person told me it was due to be fixed by this weekend but nothing seems to have improved.  Does anybody know what is the true fix date?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 31 - very slow speeds at peak time

Hi dazzlerm,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband speeds during the evenings.

Looking at your connection, I can see the high peak time traffic fault that you mentioned. The reference number is F004856402 and with a review date of 22nd February 2017.

As this is a review date this can be subject to change and we will have more information nearer this date in regards to further updates.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
siouxchief
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same issue here Sam in Harpenden AL5 1RJ, area 31. Is this the same issue for me? Dissapointed to hear February as I heard January elsewhere.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi siouxchief,

Thanks for posting on the community.

I'm sorry to learn that you are also experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection and the cause of this will be a high peak time traffic fault in your area. The reference number is F004020155 and the review date is 11th January.

This information will be different to others as these faults are not linked to Area Reference numbers but to cable lines instead.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

siouxchief
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info Samantha. Can I assume that a review date is likely to mean it won't be fixed until after then?

Edit: After I did a search for the reference you provided it seems that this is an issue since last January! Why would you take on new customers when there is a known fault which makes the system unusable? I'm currently get 5KB/sec which is slower than dial up and was the same last night

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slooooooow-speeds-in-AL5-of-an-evening/td-p/3011981.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hiya siouxchief,

Thanks for getting back to me.

In regards to high peak time traffic faults, they will have review dates due to the work that is required and can be subject to change. 

The work can involve implementation of additional upstream and/or downstream channels, hardware upgrades at the CMTS, re-siting of street cabinets, digging up of roads/paths etc. Nearer the review date the engineers will assess the bandwidth and if there has been an improvement the fault will be closed. If there is still an issue, they will continue with additional work.

Regards

Sam

siouxchief
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank for getting back to me Sam.

I see you said the issue can involve various types of fixes some which seem a lot bigger than others like actually requiring digging up roads.

As you have the access and can dig deeper can you let us poor customers know:

1. What is actually the required changes required from your list?
2. Are these fixes actually being currently undertaken as we speak?
3. How realistic are these things to be fixed by the January review date?

If you could speak to the head engineer running these works (if ongoing) it would be great to get even more accurate information rather than all of us hoping for January.

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Evening siouxchief,

Thanks for the reply.

I can see that work has started in regards to a re-segmentation. 

As mentioned we will have more information nearer the review date to see if the bandwidth has been improved. I know you would like this issue to be resolved as soon as possible and it is frustrating, however we only see the work that is being completed and the review date.

We will be in touch when we have further updates.

Regards

Sam

0 Kudos
siouxchief
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My speeds seemed to have been okay last night and tonight. All relative as I pay for 150mb but getting 60mb which I can deal with.

Wonder has it been nearly fixed...
0 Kudos
siouxchief
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam, any update, thought my speed had improved but still very bad when I just checked and it's past review date of 11th January?

F004020155

Thanks
David
0 Kudos