Menu
Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Area 31 very poor speeds after 4pm

Since I signed up for your Vivid 200 Gamer package I have been getting speed loss after 4 pm every day - I was on your 150mb package before and didnt have this problem - the connection becomes unstable and drops by 6 pm to between 9 - 7 Mb download, sometimes less - the upload speed is never affected. Ping also becomes more jittery.

I called and was told this would be remedied by the 7th November. It hasnt been, I called just now to be told I could expect these paltry speeds and unstable connection until at least January the 22nd next year and that my whole area has the same issue.

How is this not up as a service issue on your site if thats the case and how is adding 2.5 months to a repair date seen as being even slightly reasonable. 

I use the service for gaming in the evenings, its not stable enough to do that and the only time I get advertised speeds is first thing in the morning when no one else is online. 

I find it hard to believe what I have been told as my 150mb service ran at exactly that speed day and night, I asked for an engineer to be sent down but was told none were available and I wasnt allowed a tech visit. 

The area number is 31, could you advise or help please.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
athersmith
Tuning in
Message 3 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Area 31 very poor speeds after 4pm

I am getting exactly the same. Speeds in the day 60-80 then after 4pm drops dramatically.Getting between 2-3 mbps this evening. Last night around 4pm. I have started monitoring this as I pay for 100mbps which was promised a few months ago as the minimum. Mine slow speed has been going on for months. It registers fault but every time I look the fault repair date just moves a day forward each day. 

This is not only not acceptable but is fraud so far as I am concerned

athersmith
Tuning in
Message 4 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BTW my area is 04

The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I feel your pain Kizza-1974, i to am experiencing problems during peak periods (4pm-11pm) in my area (22). I to have posted a thread on the forums announcing my frustration, luckily Nicola_C a VM forum team leader has investigated the problem and have agreed there's a problem in my area with high traffic usage thus set the review date for me at 16th of November 2016, however i have learnt from a fellow forum thread poster in my area that this has been a ongoing issue since 2015 :-(.

Luckily i am due a renewal on my contract this month, safe to say i will not renew for another 12months until the said problem is rectified. Hopefully they will heavily discount my monthly bill to recompense me for the pitiful speeds.

During the peak periods i am getting a stable 5-9Mbps on my Vivid 200 package, using 7Mbps as average i am getting 3.5% of my 'up to' speed of 200Mbps this is truly appalling and i would expected better from a 'the' Docsis 3 cable and they been screaming on about and Virgin media, but they are very happy to charge me £39.75 for the privilege. Maybe since i only get 3.5% of advertised 'up to' speed maybe i should only pay 3.5% of my full price (approx. £1.39) how do you think sounds? ... pretty good to me.

This has only been noticeable problem for me in the last 3 weeks, and i have been with them for 2 years. Seeing average speeds of around 160-196Mbps at all hours and maybe occasionally dropping below 100Mbps during the so called peak period. 

Hang on in there mate, thats all i can say and get them to keep reducing the bill if possible until said problem is rectified. Hopefully more people in your area will speak as well and this thread is escalated to the VM team and you get a response. 

pizzathehutt
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have also been experiencing paltry speeds - topping out at about 20mbps at max during peak. This problem has been going on for me since early 2015, with the "solution" being pushed back continuously. I was told a solution would be coming out on the 16th November but based on this thread, I guess it won't be coming for a while longer... How Virgin is getting away with this is unfathomable.

pizzathehutt
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've actually been getting some stuff together to go to Ofcom and Watchdog, because it's just abysmal - everyone's been fobbed off and the service is not anywhere near what is advertised - I reckon if everyone hits them at once and lodges complaints, we may just create a big enough headache for VM to actually do something concrete, or just give everyone a refund for the impaired service Smiley Very Happy (one can wish).

According to Ofcom, after eight weeks of your complaint about service being put in, if nothing's done, it's grounds to go to an arbitrator, which you can get a link for here - https://www.cedr.com/cisas/make-a-complaint/ . Furthermore, I guess if enough people kick up a fuss and 'tip off' Watchdog, they may investigate - possibly helping us? Stick a tipoff in here - https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Same - BT Infinity isn't available for me either (AL3 area); wish I could jump ship but Virgin Media is the only remotely fast (non-ADSL) provider here.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Matthewcain
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's hopeless - we're also Area 31 (see post on 'Tring'). I've made complaints, asked to cancel the contract (they refused, because they are allowed a certain amount of time to fix it) etc, etc.

I've been told a fix date is November 16th, but not holding my breath. The £12.50 a month 'compensation' can't be far off the increases they've piled on in the last year.

Great company...

- Matt

andymacro
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am in area 31 - Hemel Hempstead  - HP2 and have experienced the same problems for several months.  Possibly coinciding with the upgrade to Vivid 200.   I called the retention dept after regularly hearing the same, there are no faults and no over utilisation responses.  

I agreed to defer any decision on cancelling my contract until the outcome of an engineer visit.   The engineer arrived recently, carried out equipment tests showing the fault was not at my premises.   However, he was also the first from Virgin to admit there is a problem with the CMTS11 equipment distributing high speed data services to certain areas including mine.    I asked when there would be a resolution and the engineer informed me there should be temporary fix in a couple of weeks with a permanent fix scheduled for Jan 2017.

I also asked why the fault is not showing when tests are carried out when we call support.  Apparently the tests only check connections from the CMTS to consumer premises and not for faults with the CMTS.

siouxchief
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just add my voice. In AL5 Harpenden. Told the issue will continue till January. They discounted me £7.50 from bill for 18months, upgraded me to 150 for free and took 20 quid off this month's bill.

Would swap it all for my old 100mb line working smoothly though.

All Replies
Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Postcode is AL2

0 Kudos
athersmith
Tuning in
Message 3 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am getting exactly the same. Speeds in the day 60-80 then after 4pm drops dramatically.Getting between 2-3 mbps this evening. Last night around 4pm. I have started monitoring this as I pay for 100mbps which was promised a few months ago as the minimum. Mine slow speed has been going on for months. It registers fault but every time I look the fault repair date just moves a day forward each day. 

This is not only not acceptable but is fraud so far as I am concerned

athersmith
Tuning in
Message 4 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BTW my area is 04

Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Yeah it seems their network isn't upto delivering the speeds they promised us. Got offered £12.50 a month off the bill when they should really just fix the issues they clearly have, what goods a discount when you cant really use the service!

0 Kudos
Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 47
Flag for a moderator

5782806565.png

A new record Low, note upload is fine. 

0 Kudos
The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I feel your pain Kizza-1974, i to am experiencing problems during peak periods (4pm-11pm) in my area (22). I to have posted a thread on the forums announcing my frustration, luckily Nicola_C a VM forum team leader has investigated the problem and have agreed there's a problem in my area with high traffic usage thus set the review date for me at 16th of November 2016, however i have learnt from a fellow forum thread poster in my area that this has been a ongoing issue since 2015 :-(.

Luckily i am due a renewal on my contract this month, safe to say i will not renew for another 12months until the said problem is rectified. Hopefully they will heavily discount my monthly bill to recompense me for the pitiful speeds.

During the peak periods i am getting a stable 5-9Mbps on my Vivid 200 package, using 7Mbps as average i am getting 3.5% of my 'up to' speed of 200Mbps this is truly appalling and i would expected better from a 'the' Docsis 3 cable and they been screaming on about and Virgin media, but they are very happy to charge me £39.75 for the privilege. Maybe since i only get 3.5% of advertised 'up to' speed maybe i should only pay 3.5% of my full price (approx. £1.39) how do you think sounds? ... pretty good to me.

This has only been noticeable problem for me in the last 3 weeks, and i have been with them for 2 years. Seeing average speeds of around 160-196Mbps at all hours and maybe occasionally dropping below 100Mbps during the so called peak period. 

Hang on in there mate, thats all i can say and get them to keep reducing the bill if possible until said problem is rectified. Hopefully more people in your area will speak as well and this thread is escalated to the VM team and you get a response. 

pizzathehutt
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have also been experiencing paltry speeds - topping out at about 20mbps at max during peak. This problem has been going on for me since early 2015, with the "solution" being pushed back continuously. I was told a solution would be coming out on the 16th November but based on this thread, I guess it won't be coming for a while longer... How Virgin is getting away with this is unfathomable.

Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Same Postcode mate, it's disgraceful and they've pushed the fix date all the way back to February 22nd next year.... I cant get BT Fibre here yet but the minute its available I will, the service from Virgin is totally shoddy.

0 Kudos
pizzathehutt
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 47
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've actually been getting some stuff together to go to Ofcom and Watchdog, because it's just abysmal - everyone's been fobbed off and the service is not anywhere near what is advertised - I reckon if everyone hits them at once and lodges complaints, we may just create a big enough headache for VM to actually do something concrete, or just give everyone a refund for the impaired service Smiley Very Happy (one can wish).

According to Ofcom, after eight weeks of your complaint about service being put in, if nothing's done, it's grounds to go to an arbitrator, which you can get a link for here - https://www.cedr.com/cisas/make-a-complaint/ . Furthermore, I guess if enough people kick up a fuss and 'tip off' Watchdog, they may investigate - possibly helping us? Stick a tipoff in here - https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Same - BT Infinity isn't available for me either (AL3 area); wish I could jump ship but Virgin Media is the only remotely fast (non-ADSL) provider here.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?