Menu
rob_levine
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Area 31 (St. Albans). Less than 5Mb/s at weekends and some evenings.

Hi,

I'm getting an unusable broadband service at weekends and during some weekday evenings. It frequently slows down to less than 5Mb/s, although is closer to 1.5Mb/s tonight.

This has been going on for months now. SNRs are ok, problem exists for hard wired clients too - everything points to a utilisation issue (especially given the totally predictable slowdown pattern).

The problem is - at this speed it isn't even suitable for web browsing, let alone gaming and streaming. At these times, the service is of no use.

Is there any date for resolution on this?

Also, how do I go about getting a refund?

When VM broadband is working, it is blazing fast. Unfortunately, with these clockwork slowdowns even die-hard fans like myself are getting to the point of opting for a slower but more reliable service.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 31 (St. Albans). Less than 5Mb/s at weekends and some evenings.

There are loads of posts on here about St Albans, and over utilisation mate.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
nickh
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Des,

I'm in AL4 and have been suffering from over-utilisation for well over a year, getting worse month by month, and as you say is totally unusable at weekends and weekday evenings.  On a supposed 200 Mb/s connection, I get 2-4 Mb/s in those peak times.  

There are several threads on here documenting the issues in St Albans and various fault references.

The latest review date for the over-utilisation issue (F004466969) which covers my part of St Albans is 07/06/2017.  Who knows whether it will actually be fixed then?  I suspect not, given past history of VM in St Albans and surrounding towns, so you may want to look at alternatives.  I'm now looking at a slower but more reliable and consistent service.

Re a refund, you can certainly get a credit applied to your account if you speak to Customer Service.

Nick

rob_levine wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting an unusable broadband service at weekends and during some weekday evenings. It frequently slows down to less than 5Mb/s, although is closer to 1.5Mb/s tonight.

This has been going on for months now. SNRs are ok, problem exists for hard wired clients too - everything points to a utilisation issue (especially given the totally predictable slowdown pattern).

The problem is - at this speed it isn't even suitable for web browsing, let alone gaming and streaming. At these times, the service is of no use.

Is there any date for resolution on this?

Also, how do I go about getting a refund?

When VM broadband is working, it is blazing fast. Unfortunately, with these clockwork slowdowns even die-hard fans like myself are getting to the point of opting for a slower but more reliable service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there rob_levine,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

My apologies you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during peak hours.

I would like to check the network for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos