Menu
Matthewcain
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Area 31 Broadband (Tring / HP23) . Paying for 200, getting less than 15.

Hi - we've had very slow speeds for some time. Checked a wired connection last night via speedtest, and was getting between 10-15 Mbs.

I raised this with your tech support, who said it was a known issue, and would not be fixed until late November.

1. Why is this not published on your service status page ?

2. If it was a known issue, and would not be resolved for weeks, why have you not dropped a courtesy email ?

3. You are charging me (& keep raising prices - several times this year), but are unable to even approximate the speed I'm paying for. How long has this been an issue, and will you be compensating ?

Thanks - Matt

0 Kudos
norfus
Tuning in
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 31 Broadband (Tring / HP23) . Paying for 200, getting less than 15.

I'm also in Area 31 and suffering from similar problems.  I spoke to them about problems in September and was told mid-Oct.  Still not fixed today and have now been told that things will be fixed by Jan 11.  Given you were told Mid Nov I think it's quite clear they just make up these dates on the spot and they're not actually doing anything about it.

Definitely ask for compensation - losing revenue is likely the only thing that will cause them to change.

DanMilz
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same here (in Tring).

Pinging google with over 1000ms pretty much all times of the day on a wired connection and was told there was a fault in the line and given a fix date of mid-November.

Definitely going elsewhere if this is not fixed soon.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Matthewcain,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community. It's nice to have you here.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your account, and there is no fault on the cable line that you are connected too in regards to high peak time traffic. I understand that you have been told otherwise and I am sorry for the miss-information. Your own line/hub is showing as fine.

I want to help find the cause of the slow speeds you are achieving and for this are you able to complete speed tests at different times of the day whilst the Hub is in modem mode please? 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Matthewcain
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi - we're getting typically as follows:

06:00 and early hours - around 200Mbps

Today (16:45, modem mode): 75Mbps

Evening time - 19:00 -> 23:00: rarely more than 10Mbps

The above pattern is consistent & repeatable, day after day. Additionally, I've been told on 3 occasions of an issue (presumably oversubscribed) that is not expected to be resolved until mid-November. 

If I'm paying for 200, I'd expect to get close to that most of the time. Additionally - this appears to have kicked in late summer.

Thanks - Matt

0 Kudos
kevinV
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Are they using cut and paste for the same inane answers to contention problems.  Just tell customers the truth that 10% of them are achieving the required speeds so the rest of them dont matter.  Virgin should stop selling speeds they cannot achieve or can if there is only 1 user in the area.

I have been told the same answer but it never fixes anything I paid for vivid200 and lucky to get murky 50.  Please do not tell me there is a fault in my area or that an engineer is booked in to fix it as this is impossible whilst you lie about obtainable speeds.  I am not looking to get 200 regularily but half of that on a day to day basis would be acceptable.

Matthewcain
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Saturday 12th November 18:20 - max speed over 3 tests spaced a few minutes apart: 20Mbps

This is repeatable, day after day after day. The only time we get 200 is early morning, based on a few samples I did around 06:00 / 06:30

Thanks - Matt

0 Kudos
Matthewcain
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Sunday 13th Nov - 19:00    less than 8Mbps. Remember I'm supposed to be on around 200 Mbps

.Tring_Nov13_1900.jpeg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Evening Matt

Thanks for getting back to me.

I appreciate the speed tests you have completed. 

Can you create a Broadband Quality Monitor please for us to check the connection as I am unable to see any issues on the network that would cause your speeds to drop like this. If you do create a BQM, you will need to disable the firewall within the router.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Matthewcain
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi - one of your colleagues contacted me earlier this week, and confirmed there was a general issue impacting speed. They also confirmed the original fix date - 16 November - had now moved to 14th December.

It is a little disconcerting that some Virgin employees suggest there is a known general issue, whereas this email thread is still looking for the cause. I don't understand the two separate stories. It is also concerning that the fix date has moved by a month.

I'm reluctant to remove or relax firewall options on the router.

I'd appreciate if you could comment on the earlier points.

Thanks - Matt