Menu
philstar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Area 30 SLOW BROADBAND

hey,

I signed up early this year to the Virgin 100mb broadband service. I don't have the TV or phone I just pay for the broadband.

I have literally never seen a speed over 40mbs. Am I the only one or is this typical of virgin?

When its very very slow I run speedtests and about this time of day my connection is running in the 2 - 3 mbs range which is bloody shocking.

I work in tech and IT, specifically networking so before its suggested: yes, my home is setup perfectly, no the problem is not at my end.

The irony is I changed from Sky because the fastest they could do for me was 4.6m/s. That was at least consistent and always at the rated speed.

So now im wondering, if I drop my speed down to a cheaper, slower connection will I still just get the speeds I am getting anyway? Or is it some sort of multiplier where dropping to 50 will get me peaktime speeds of 1 and so on.

As a side project I am going to take a screenshot once a day of my virgin internet speed and keep a record for as long as I can be bothered, ill be posting my results in a blog. Ill drop back once I have a couple of months readings and post a link.

Is this just me?

0 Kudos
MrDark
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 30 SLOW BROADBAND

It's not just you I am geting 5 Mbps on a 200Mbps line.

The only thing worse then Virgin medias terrible broadband speeds is there awful customer service
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there philstar, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing slow speeds, I know this can be frustrating.

I've had a look at your connection and I'm sorry to report that we've currently got  a fault in your are under ref: F003401441 which is due for review on the 16/12/15. This type of fault can be responsible for reducing the speeds during peak times (evenings and weekends) and to rectify this we need to undertake upgrades on the network to support the level of demand in your area. 

Please would you bump this thread on or after the 16/12 for a progress update. 

Many thanks for your patience, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
rgran
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree, I have been with VM for over 6 years.  Intermittent BB, slow tv, I should change. Today I am getting 188 ping, 29.31 download and 6.71 upload.  I am an ex IT manager and I would say that 60% of the time my connectivity is not fit for purpose.  You ring and complain and it speeds up for a couple of hours.

0 Kudos
cooky560
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am bumping this because as of January this is still the case, I've had better internet access through 4g on my phone. New date is March