Menu
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Area 28 issues

Hello,

Got confirmation last week from tech that the area is over utilised.

Supposidly this has been going on since July 16 but will be resolved by 5th February 2017.

Would a member of the team be kind enough to provide an update on this?

BT have made me a good offer on their 70mb broadband, I really don't want to jump ship but my mate says he finds their infrastructure better for gaming.

Personally I would rather stick where I am though since I have been a ntl/virgin customer since late 90s.

I also have great faith in the virgin team and im sure once these utilisation issues are sorted it will be 100% service.

May the force be with you,

MOA.

HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router, a wee switch & NAS.

My Broadband Ping - MOA VM Monitor
0 Kudos
GMAN73
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 28 issues

Im in Area 28 and was having issues for weeks, had an engineer out, who added power level reducers, he told me that there was no utilisation in Area 28, so you got to wonder who do you believe from VM.
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It probably was mate but it may have been under the fresh hold of 10% at the time which I hear nothing is done until it reaches this or above.

Hence why he has probably stated no issues.

As more and more customers get added the worse it gets.

Over utilised infrastructures is something that will happen to most service providers.

When I worked in the sector I would do a refresh of hardware at the latest every 5 years especially with sans, servers etc

Two reasons I done this..... 1 being every year the business usage of such services increase all the time, 2 well you find when it comes to hardware such as say the Dell powervaults which is a server, it is harder to get a warranty for it and they are non existent when you reach 7 years.

Anything of an age that still worked well would just be used in my testing environment, DNS server or simply for backup only.

Its expensive when you get to refresh and to wait such a long time to fix indicates to me its more budget issues, but I might be wrong.

MOA.

GMAN73
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Don't know about you, but my broadband has decided to die this evening around 8.25pm

G
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeah the ping is sky high but its not died completely. Ive noticed a lot of the times I am still up and running even when my neighbours are totally down. I dont use virgins DNS servers though I jump between opendns, comodo and googles public so I dont know if thats anything to do with it. Although using other DNS has many benefits including security but I thought it would only keep me up and running if virgin had a DNS outage but I might be wrong.

EDIT: here is the issue we are having explained on this thread: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Gamer-package-broadband/td-p/3320047

MOA.