Menu
Tom74
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Area 26 (Derry) Slow speed around 10Mbps

Hi,

I have been a customer of Virgin Media for over 5 years now and have rarely had any issues. I recently upgraded my package including 200Mb fibre, and was sent a new hub 3. I started having issues with the speed where it would sit between 10 meg and 20 meg download (consistently 11.5 meg upload no issues there) between the hours of around 6pm and around 2am, I don't know the exact times. Early in the morning I am able to hit the full 210 meg and during the day around noon it is sitting at around 100 meg. All the tests I carried out were done via an Ethernet cable directly into the hub.

I have spoken with the technical support team and had a fault engineer visit the property. The outcome of the calls to technical support and speaking with the engineer was that there is a known network fault with the connection. I believe the adviser on the call mentioned that the up-link needed work carried out (I am not 100% sure what this means).

The problem with this is that I was advised the any work would not be carried out until 26th June 2017. I find it difficult to understand how a network issue that could cause myself and I am assuming other users in the Derry area to drop to speeds on occasion below 10 meg on a 200 meg fibre connection .

Any light that could be shed on the cause of this network fault, and why it will take 6 months (half a contract term) to rectify would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
DerryB
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 26 (Derry) Slow speed around 10Mbps

Same issues here, on Vivid 200 avg 130-180 during daytime hours, between 8pm & 12 drops to below 10 rendering it barely usable [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5995072498][IMG]http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5995072498.png[/IM...] also experiencing a lot more dropouts than i am used to, maybe 4-5 months ago I had one a fortnight for 10 mins, now it is almost daily.

0 Kudos
DerryB
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom74,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am very sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced.

I've had a look into this and I haven't been able to detect any fault within the network segment.

I'm happy to arrange another engineer visit for you, if you'd like?

I've sent you a private message so that we can chat some more.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there DerryB,

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing connection issues at the moment.

I've had a look into this from this end and I'm unable to detect any obvious cause for concern either via the equipment levels or network segment.

Are you completing these speed tests with a wireless or wired connection?

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos