Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 71 of 85
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 26 - Belfast / Lisburn - Slow Internet

Hi Joe92,

Just a quick update a fault has been raised, ref F005295823 for SNR and FECS. 

The current review date is 22 MAY 2017, I will keep an eye on this for you and let you know as soon as we know more. 

All the best. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 72 of 85
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, so that's something new and surprising for me - and everyone else in this catchment area.

However, and more concerning, what happened to F004055880? - over two weeks ago phone support told me of this on-going high utilisation issue and that its review date was Dec 2017!!

I have daily BQM graphs covering this period along with the obligatory double test speedtest.net logs covering morning and through the evening...very clearly describing the ongoing seriously degraded peak time utilisation issue....right to this very day.

200Mbps package delivering 1-30Mbps throughout MY ONLY downtime - I work during the day and sleep at night. My new V6 box has frequent catch up / on demand issues over this period.

When your service works it is fantastic! but I (and everyone else in this position) cannot, ever, get anywhere approaching an acceptable service when I come home.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 73 of 85
Flag for a moderator

Hi devst8ndscodave,

Just a quick update, fault ref F005295823 has been resolved. 

I have taken another look at your connection and it has left your upstream power levels a little on the high side. 

I would like to get an engineer out to take a look at this for you. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 74 of 85
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joe92,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see that you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken another look and fault ref F004055880  for slow speeds is still showing a review date of 01 NOV 2017 so I am unsure as to why you were advised it was December unless the person you spoke to just misread the date. 

I have tried to take another look at your connection but it is currently showing as offline. Fault ref F005295823 has now been resolved, are you showing any improvement in your connection over the past few days? 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
devst8ndscodave
Tuning in
Message 75 of 85
Flag for a moderator

Speeds are terrible right now. Getting only 13mb. This is going on far too long. I've had an engineer out and my entire connection was replaced but it's still terrible right now.

0 Kudos
Thewelt1
Joining in
Message 76 of 85
Flag for a moderator

Yep.glad i found this thread..sounding all to familiar to me,over 10 weeks ive been having speed issues on a 200mb line now getting speeds of 20-30 if im lucky..had several engineers out telling me the same thing its not equipment but overload due to expanding network..but seriously 10 weeks and them muppets at customer services on the phone just make me feel like im lying mybe if they were updated on all systems they would realize theres numerous faults with their networking in n.ireland,have to admit been with virgin for 13 years but have to say my patience is wearing thin ive never had as many engineers out and had phone calls since ive had the service..if its not fixed soon i might have to consider my options as having 3 kids and two adults constantly online 30 mb dont do much as far as streaming and gaming goes!!
0 Kudos
donna1974
On our wavelength
Message 77 of 85
Flag for a moderator

Same here I'm in mount eagles meant to be getting 200mbps and I'm getting 10mbps this is a joke
0 Kudos
cheedear
Joining in
Message 78 of 85
Flag for a moderator

phoned virgin up last week, they told me they'd send out an engineer.

took day off work, engineer came out.

he came in the house, was scottish for nine minutes and then left.

apparently it's a known fault, nothing he could do, call centre should have known.

he's probably still scottish.

why, if it's a known problem in this area, does Virgin's status page say for my post code "No known issues"?

are virgin actually trying to pretend this isn't happening?

can i also have 90% of my money back for the month, seeing as i only got 10% of the service?

0 Kudos
Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 79 of 85
Flag for a moderator

@cheedear and anyone else suffering from crippling speed reductions due to oversubscription:

Providing your home components can attain the max speed you are paying for i.e. there's no bottleneck attributable to your devices, ethernet cable, network card i.e. if you see can crippling speed reductions at particular times of the day and can see normal service at others, then....

Oversubscription issues never, ever appear on the status page. VM call there 'high utilisation faults'.

VM's american owners, Liberty Global are currently expanding rather than fixing these problems. They are spending as little on infrastructure as possible while acting out a policy of very deliberate oversubscription - then - keep doing this until breaking point threshold (public awareness) has been reached. The aim is controlled full bandwidth saturation (/max profit : little investment).

Some proof: did you get a chance to see BBC Watchdog last week? if not check it out on iPlayer (if you're able to stream!). Then check out the following very busy thread: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Is-it-just-me-or-is-VM-plagued-by-over-sold-services-so-ca.... Get the latest fault list from that thread. Interesting reading? Now have a quick check through some of the posts in this forum section. The vast majority are due to oversubscription! VM like to remind us all that the 'correct' term is 'high utilisation fault' - they call these faults...unbelievable! What you see in the forum and elsewhere is only the tip of this iceberg since the vast majority of folk are quite simply unaware of the true reason...believing their crippling service reduction is the result of some 'standard evening effect as workers etc return home' - a very convenient smokescreen that VM play most certainly are playing on.

VM never, ever proactively offer bill reductions...so (unless you've already done this)...get through to customer retentions, describe your service and demand they reduce your total bill in line with your service loss. Factor in loss of catch up services (often affected). Do not accept their standard £10 offer. If you have no broadband then they must remove that component. While on the same line say "I will complain to CISAS if you do not adjust my bill properly" - cisas = VM's ofcom-approved dispute regulator. Complain to them if your not happy.

Unfortunately, as for fixing an over subscribed area, well...that can only be done with investment e.g. at your local cabinet......and we're back to the start...."spend as little on infrastructure as possible...". This is where Watchdog etc etc come into play. Ultimately the regulators and government must do their jobs better in correctly balancing how companies such as L.Global are allowed to operate.

cheedear
Joining in
Message 80 of 85
Flag for a moderator

that was very depressing to read because it is so clearly the truth.

we were deceptively advertised to, 200Mbps in the area of the new post code.

continually told it would be 200Mbps.

we have never had above 20.

when the engineer came out he was clear, it is a known problem. they have known about it for months. it's the same in glengormley. 

they have advertised and then sold a service under false pretences, a service that they are in no position to offer. a service they knowingly were in no position to offer. they marked our case as resolved and sent us a message telling us it was fixed. it was not.

0 Kudos