Menu
Kesteral
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Area 24 - Peak time utilisation issue

Hi,

I'm a new customer with Virgin as I activated my broadband yesterday. I signed up for the VIVID 100 package and have been testing it pretty consistently since yesterday evening. This evening I experienced very slow speeds, going down to 10 mbps while connected via a network cable. I rang up Virgin tech support to ask and I was told that there is a utilisation issue in my area.

I was advised there is a fix date (30th of March), which should solve most of these issues according to the person on the phone, but I'm concerned as the issue was apparently raised in September last year and hasn't been fixed yet. The technician on the phone informed me that it's a very difficult issue to fix and can sometimes take up to two years (The worst case he had heard of). He couldn't guarantee a fix date of the 30th March either.

I will be speaking to Virgin very shortly about why they didn't inform me of this when I signed up, but in the meantime could anyone look into this support ticket for me so I can better understand the issue and decide whether it's worth sticking around with Virgin until the 30th or just cancel the contract as it's within the cooling off period.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 24 - Peak time utilisation issue

Hi Kesteral,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds in the evening.

I've just checked on your connection and the ticket for the fault affecting you is F003883122 which will cause slow speeds at peak times such as evenings and weekends. This is due for review 30/03/16. Faults like this are caused by overuse of the network so the work to fix this often means digging up roads to lay new cabling, installing street cabinets and building headends.

All of this requires a lot of co ordination with local authorities which can lead to delays.

I hope this helps explain the fault. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Kesteral
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thank you for getting back to me. 

I was told by the technical support person on the phone that this was due to be fixed by the 30th of March as the fault was originally reported back in September 2015.

However you're saying it's due for review on the 30th? Does this mean that this issue will be fixed by then or simply that it's going to be looked at?

If it's only going to be looked at on the 30th then surely there's no possible way it's going to be fixed within the next 6 months considering all the factors that you mentioned below.

Kind Regards

Kesteral

0 Kudos
Kesteral
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Can I get some help on this one?

Does it say on the fault what actions have been taken in the past and what they're trying to fix? I was told on the phone last night that it should be fixed in 48 hours for me.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kesteral, 

Thanks for posting, sorry to see that your issues are still persisting, I know this can be annoying so apologies for any bother.

I've had a look at your connection from here and I can see 2 things affecting your connection. The first is that your modem's SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) is a little on the low side, which can cause slow and intermittent performance. In order to resolve this we would need to arrange for an engineer to visit and make the necessary adjustments.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, it would be helpful if you could reply to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

The second is as I'm sure you're already aware, your area cable seems to have some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

These upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak times, the reference number for this is F003883122 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the end of March. Should you wish to bump the thread in the mean time we'll be glad to take a look for any progress updates for you.

I have sent you a PM outlining your credit options for this.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Kesteral
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Appreciate your help so far.

I had a virgin media engineer around on Saturday to sort out the low signal to noise ratio you mentioned which he said is now much improved.

I was hoping this would clear the issue but it hasn't and my speed still drops down as low as 5mbps (on ethernet) with 300 ping after 9 PM.

This is simply not good enough and I would like an update on the fault that I was told about below. I

s this issue likely to be resolved on the 30th of March or am I going to have to look at leaving virgin media as I'm not getting speeds anywhere near promised and no consistency at all.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kesteral
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I'm bumping this because I haven't received a response from you and my internet is still very slow during peak hours.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

While i'm in an affected area (Different from yours) I was also told the 30th March is a Fix Date

Don't bump the thread for a few days - Virgin work on oldiest thread first - bumping your thread pushes it to the back of the queue 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kesteral, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I'm sorry to see that you have continued to have slow speed issues. 

Looking at your connection and the previous posts it seems you're affected by fault ref F003883122 for slow speeds during peak times, this can some times be a fault with a long lead time due to the complexity of the work required to fix the issues. The planning team are currently investigating the best way to get this fault resolved and we should have more news on this after 15/06/2016. 

Unfortunately you may see slow speeds during peak times while this fault is ongoing. 

Do you see slow speeds during any other times? 

I will also be popping you a PM. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
rovman
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'm also in Area 24 and have the same issue. Funnily enough, it only started happening when everyone got their "free" speed increased (which coincided with a £2 per month price hike). By giving everyone a speed boost on a network that can't handle it, they have in effect cut our speeds right down.

I never previously had any issues before moving to 150mb, was always rock solid at 105 anytime I tested, peak or not. Now I'm lucky to get 25mb.

0 Kudos