Menu
flashpoint51
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 painfully slow evening speeds

Any ideas what the issue is here? And more importantly when it will be resolved? Typically getting download speeds of 1-5mbps on a supposedly 50mb connection, being going on for more than a few days now. Almost unusable in the evening, fine during the day.

0 Kudos
antonyh
Joining in
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 21 painfully slow evening speeds

Same here. I've just been told by support that it's a problem for the last few days and it should be fixed by Saturday... I'm on a 100mb connection, but I can't get more than 1.5mb right now. I don't much care what speed is available during the day when I'm not using it, maybe it's ok but there's no way a wired connection should ever be slower than using my phone...

0 Kudos
Dillinger
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Area 21, SE7, and have just spoken to a support person. The problem is capacity; i.e. too many customers and not enough band-width. There is a 'review date; of 21st December for this. They said that the engineers have this a ticket and may need to improve the underlying hardware.

Here is the worrying bit; I asked when they were first aware of this problem and was told 'December 2014'. So, this has been going on for 2 years with no remedy.

I've just joined VM and am on Vivid 200 but get about 10-30 Mbps. I may not be a customer very long I think.

0 Kudos
flashpoint51
Tuning in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I called support and they sent an engineer round tonight. Same story, utilisation and cabinet capacity, Dec 21 review date etc etc. Nothing he could do to be fair to him.  Quick look in the forums shows people with the same ticket/issue reference number going back to at least the start of the year.

I'll be off to BT as soon as they have space. At least they have the honesty to make you wait until they can provide a service.

0 Kudos
swlondon18
Joining in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same issue here: 50Mbps down / 2.8Mbps up during the day; in the evenings it goes to at most 2Mbps down, and sometimes, like yesterday, it becomes unusable at 0.3 Mbps down and 0.03 Mbps up. Just joined last month - I had no idea there was overutilisation in my area...

0 Kudos
Dillinger
Tuning in
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

As an added bonus it turns out there is now a fault on my phone line; we don't hear incoming calls.

So, almost 100% failure in services from Virgin Media. For Vivid 200 I'm currently getting an impressive 3.86 Mps.

A customer for 4 days, 100% more problems than with BT over the last decade.

I'm going to have to call BT now and go back with tail between my legs. At least I don't get TV through this lot or else nothing would be working...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi flashpoint51,

Sorry for the reduced speeds you've been experiencing.My tests show this is due to the available network capacity not being sufficient for the amount of Internet usage at peak times. This has been escalated for attention (ref:  F004027585) and a network upgrade is in the plans but this could take quite a while to realise.

You'll be provided with updates on this via our Mod team but I've also sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) outlining your credit options.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi antonyh,

Apologies to you too as you are also affected by F003444101, slow peak time speeds. The current review date is set for 21-12-2016 - at this point if the pre-upgrade work has completed a more viable EFT will be provided.

I'll pass your details on to the Moderation team who will provide you with updates and outline your credit options, though you may need to allow a few days for  thier response. But keep any eye out for a PM from them (purple envelope icon, top right of page).

Take care Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dillinger,

I know that you've already called in and spoken to someone about the issue affecting you, ref: F003470470, but I'd like to submit your data over to the Moderation team so that they can provide an update on the 21st December and let you know what credits you are eligible for.

I'll send your details over so you can be kept in the loop. I should add that I hope you stay with us a little longer, at least until the network upgrade completes. But I'll respect whatever choice you take. 

Jen
Forum Team

lineweight
Joining in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen_A - I too am in area 21 with the same problem. Supposed to have a 50mbps service but it consistently drops to 1.5mbps or worse in the evenings. Can you also let me know how I can find out what credits I'm eligible for, if there is not likely to be a fix in the near future?

0 Kudos