Menu
ClaireLB
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 - SW5

For the past two years, I have two flats each on the 50MB per month package.

Since over 1 year, speeds are beyond slow from 8pm-12am, and a fraction of what I am paying for (I have screen shots of the very slow download speeds over last year). I have phoned VM on numerous occasions and am always given a new date for when this issue will be fixed. Then (as someone else here has mentioned) several months ago, the price went up a couple of pounds per month (now £32 per flat). The last 10 days the service has taken a nose dive and is now beyond slow. In fact, most of the time over the last ten days, the service has not worked at all, and including during the day. When I say not at all, I mean not at all - not even emails have been possible.

How is this acceptable and why are we all putting up with it?

I phoned VM 30 odd times over last year and each time I get the usual story of 'there is a recognised issue in your area [21], and it will be fixed by [some date in the future]".

I have lost patience and am going to be pursuing things with Ofcom. I urge all with same issue in 'Area 21' to do the same.

Goes without saying, I am finally moving both flats to another provider where I will doubtless pay less, and certainly get a better service.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
john_f_
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Area 21 - SW5

Hi Claire,

OFCOM will advise you to make use of the service that CISAS provide - this is an independent dispute resolution service approved by OFCOM which is free for you to use: http://www.cedr.com/cisas/make-a-complaint/

What you'll need to do is give virgin media a call and request that they provide the service that you are paying for. They will obviously be unable to do this but will offer you money off your service. Make it very clear that you would like this money off and that it should be backdated to when the issue first arose (in area 21 this was most likely August 2015). Then make it very clear that whilst this provides a level of compensation it still does not provide you with the service detailed in your contract. As they are unable to do anything further you have reached deadlock, so request that they send you a deadlock letter, you will need this deadlock letter in order to pursue your claim with CISAS (it basically evidences that you have exhausted their complaints process).

Virgin Media will tell you that there is no point in you doing this, they will tell you this because they have to bear the cost of your complaint, it is definitely worth you doing so as it is pretty much your only route.

Good luck with your complaint, hopefully the more people that pursue this route the more likely Virgin Media will be to resolve this issue. The fact that you have contacted them 30+ times will swing very much in your favour.

John

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi ClaireLB, 

Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

I am only able to check one connection currently as I don't have details of the other. 

Looking at the one you're email address is attached to it seems that there is an SNR fault (Signal to Noise Ratio). Ref F004410244, the engineers are working on this and hope to have this resolved by 20/05/2016. Unfortunately with these types of fault sometimes the cause of the issue is hard to find as it tends to be intermittent. 

It has really made your downstream power levels shoot up, which we'll need to keep an eye on. We won't be able to send out an engineer while there is work ongoing as the fluctuating power levels tend to be a symptom of SNR issues. We'll need to wait for the fault to be resolved then see if an engineer is still required. 

I will pop you a PM so I can get the details of the other flat you'd like us to take a look at. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ClaireLB
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, but after over one year of being told the problem will be fixed next week (and it never ever is), I am moving both my flats to another provider. I am also pursuing things with Ofcom, as you really can not charge for a service that you don't even half provide, and which has not been fixed in over one year.

0 Kudos
john_f_
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Claire,

OFCOM will advise you to make use of the service that CISAS provide - this is an independent dispute resolution service approved by OFCOM which is free for you to use: http://www.cedr.com/cisas/make-a-complaint/

What you'll need to do is give virgin media a call and request that they provide the service that you are paying for. They will obviously be unable to do this but will offer you money off your service. Make it very clear that you would like this money off and that it should be backdated to when the issue first arose (in area 21 this was most likely August 2015). Then make it very clear that whilst this provides a level of compensation it still does not provide you with the service detailed in your contract. As they are unable to do anything further you have reached deadlock, so request that they send you a deadlock letter, you will need this deadlock letter in order to pursue your claim with CISAS (it basically evidences that you have exhausted their complaints process).

Virgin Media will tell you that there is no point in you doing this, they will tell you this because they have to bear the cost of your complaint, it is definitely worth you doing so as it is pretty much your only route.

Good luck with your complaint, hopefully the more people that pursue this route the more likely Virgin Media will be to resolve this issue. The fact that you have contacted them 30+ times will swing very much in your favour.

John

ClaireLB
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Dear John

Thank you so very much for taking the time to explain this process to me - I appreciate it!

I will follow your advice to the letter. I hope, too, that others follow suit, as it is only by strength in numbers that VM might actually begin to care about this.

Area 21 has actually had the issue since Jan 2015, which VM admit to me (most times) when I call.

Thanks John!

Claire

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi ClaireLB, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. I am sorry to see that you will be moving the service from both flats to another provider. 

As I was unable to view the second connection I am unable to advise if it had a similar fault issue. 

Please do give us a call 150 free from a Virgin land line or 0345 454 1111 (comes out of your minutes from any other phone) as the team will be able to look into the billing side of this issue for you. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ClaireLB
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Thanks for explaining/advising what the issue is on one flat. I can already tell you that it is the same issue on the other flat as I am well informed on what the issue is. Unfortunately, having the issue explained to me doesn't fix the issue! My internet still doesn't work. :-)

Thanks also for the May 20 date you gave of this being fixed but, again, I have been told such future dates many many times before by VW, but it is never fixed when the promise it will be. Perhaps you would like to place a bet with me as to whether the 'issue' will be sorted by the date you say? I'd say the odds for me to win that bet are high.

You are sorry to see me go to another provider, but what choice did I have if I wanted a functioning internet?

All the best

Claire

0 Kudos
ClaireLB
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Just to let you know, it's May 21st, and internet still not working. You mentioned May 20th as it being fixed?

My new provider is booked, but I thought was worth letting you (and everyone else) know that this ongoing issue is still ongoing. I may keep the VM 'service' on in one flat just so I can publicly document for all when it actually does get fixed.

What's the new date for fixture please?

Thanks

Claire

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi ClaireLB, 

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry to see that you have now booked your new provider. 

Unfortunately I have no better news on the SNR fault F004410244. The engineers are still looking into the issue and we should have more news after 23/05/2016. 

I will continue to keep you updated and let you know once I know more. 

Please be aware I am next in on Tuesday so it will be the 24th when I pop a new post up. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
ClaireLB
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

23 May has been and gone. Internet still not fixed. What is the next future date I will be given?

Thanks

Claire

0 Kudos