Menu
ferrano
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 - SW15, SuperFibre 50 Broadband not working

Dear VM,

I joined you in October 2015 and never thought of writing on the forum despite the very basic service provided, but this last month the broadband speed - for which I am actually paying an increased price since October 2016 - was absolutely ridiculous and reached the TOP download speed of 3MB/s, averaging an even lower 1MB/s. I called the customer service 4 times yesterday, spending one hour and a half waiting as a whole (because ALL the calls got disconnected while talking to an agent) and never reaching a solution.

Apparently, I should have just read the forum and typed "Area 21" to understand that I have been ripped off all this time, as everybody is experiencing the same issue since forever and nobody has done anything about it so far - besides posting fault reference numbers and review dates, which never brought to a solution.

I would like to book an engineer visit ASAP to see if there is anything you can do as a last resort, before switching to a different supplier and demanding a refund on my previous bills.

Thanks,

Daniele

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 21 - SW15, SuperFibre 50 Broadband not working

Hi there Daniele,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

I've managed to locate your account and the downstream power levels are too high. For this I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

There is also a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004247463 and with a review date of 29th March 2017.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ferrano
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for arranging an engineer visit.

He applied a few changes to the router settings, but, unfortunately, the problem still persists and to an advertised speed of 50Mb/s corresponds an observed download speed of 5Mb/s on a good day.

Another suggestion of the technician was to upgrade the package: now, I do not think that is a good idea at all. On average the real speed in Area 21 is around 10/15 times less than the one you pay for: would it be financially viable or efficient for a family to upgrade - say - from 50Mb/s to 100Mb/s paying an additional amount of roughly £15/month (£180/year) to get PERHAPS a speed of 10Mb/s??

I remain waiting for your kind and honest suggestions in regards to this.

Thanks,

Daniele

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Daniele,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that the engineer visit hasn't helped. Looking at your Superhub I can see the power levels are now within range which is great.

I do believe that the reason you're having speed issues is down to the fault in your area. As Sam said, this is currently under investigation and while it's on-going it might reduce speeds during peak time hours (evenings and weekends).

Please accept my apologies for this and let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Rancid
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Daniele

the whole of SW London is suffering from a crap Virgin network.
The forums are awash with people who have been suffering the same as you and for a very long time.

Pay no attention to "reveiw" dates...
There is no link between a "reveiw" date and any potential works.

Area 21 SW16 crap speeds for 12+ Months... current fault F004332018, Complaint COM101113771 Ignored, VM code of conduct Ignored... Avoid VM at all costs
0 Kudos
rhebogue02
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I have just joined virgin media with braodband vivid 200 and I am experiencing the same problem. I am getting 36 - 80mbps when i should be getting close to 200!! This is unacceptable. I have tried calling your I.T team but they are quite frankly useless. I keep hearing that the issue in my are will be fixed by the 10th of January but once I have come on to the community pages I see this is not the case. Can you please advise when this issue will be fixed or I am cancelling. 

If there is an issue in the area don't let people sign up for new packages, promise them a good service and then provide an extremely poor one.  

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The 10th of Jan' will be a review date for over utilisation in your area. Run for it while you're still in your Cooling Off Period, or get charged for getting out of your contract.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos