Menu
jamesmor1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 - 0.08Mbps for three months?

Hi,

I was made aware of a fault on the line back in November 2016 in Area 21, W5 post code. My 50Mb line has since seen average speeds of 0.8Mbps. This is comparable to dial-up. The fault is reported to be reviewed in February 2017! Is this typical for a fault to last this long? 

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Area 21 - 0.08Mbps for three months?

Chances are it's not a fault. It's over subscription.

Check if you have good peak hours speed, if the slowdown is only during off peak then it's the peak utilisation issue. Simply put, VM signed up too many people than they can handle. 

Some area has this issue for over a year. The same "fault reference" will continually get bumped by a few months to kick the can going.

SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Other posts mentioned that VM does not breach the contract because they do supply the full speed in 'most of the time' just not during peak hours Smiley Wink

Have a look at this: http://www.bartmans.com/CISAS/ if you want to follow this up.

All Replies
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Chances are it's not a fault. It's over subscription.

Check if you have good peak hours speed, if the slowdown is only during off peak then it's the peak utilisation issue. Simply put, VM signed up too many people than they can handle. 

Some area has this issue for over a year. The same "fault reference" will continually get bumped by a few months to kick the can going.

jamesmor1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response - that sounds quite likely.

On that basis do you know whether Virgin are breaching their contract by not providing 50mbps? Today I'm getting 0.05mbps and it's been that way for months!
0 Kudos
SouthGrid_87
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Other posts mentioned that VM does not breach the contract because they do supply the full speed in 'most of the time' just not during peak hours Smiley Wink

Have a look at this: http://www.bartmans.com/CISAS/ if you want to follow this up.

jamesmor1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

Three full months have passed, review dates have been extended and I'm still stuck at 0.02 Mbps.

I'll now fill out a CISAS form with a view to terminating my contract and recovering my subscription for the past three months.

0 Kudos
baverstockc
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Still the same issue for me. Can anyone advise? Sometimes less than 1mbps in the evenings on a 100mbps line, area 21.

0 Kudos
kc9400
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As said above, it's over subscription.

I think that companies should be required to inform you before you sign up that your area is heavily used and you won't get the speeds advertised, EVER.

0 Kudos
jamesmor1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi - after several complaints I have been able to be released from contract penalty free due to over utilisation in the area.
0 Kudos
kc9400
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you switched to another provider? If so who and is the service any better?

0 Kudos
jamesmor1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I switched to Sky ADSL - I get 16MBPS and a 10ms ping, and it's a world of difference and cheaper. I am convinced the problems have been ongoing since I initially got Virgin fibre three years ago as 16MBPS is immeasurably faster than the '50mbps' has ever been.
0 Kudos