Menu
jobymorris
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 slow speeds

Hi all,

First time posting here and have made an account purely to join everyone I've seen complaining about slow speeds in area 20 (I did a google and saw loads of threads!)

I started noticing slow speeds a few weeks ago and after googling it I found this forum. I'm having the exact same problem as most people, I'm on the 200mb package and am getting speeds of around 20mb, only 10% of what I pay for. I understand during peak time speeds are limited/reduced but I consistently get 20mb any time of day I check. I see a lot of threads pointing towards over utilization and high peak time traffic faults.  

Is there anything I can personally do to fix this and/or reduce the bill I pay each month whilst this fault is ongoing. 

Cheers all

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 slow speeds

First of all Area 20 is a billing area and covers areas as far afield as Blackburn, Manchester, Stoke, South London and parts of Southampton and Portsmouth, so the area can be ignored as the area is covered by several headends and numerous nodes. Some parts of area 20 are over subscribed, but the majority is not.

There are many causes of slow speed, so I would do some basic diagnostics by testing speeds whilst connected directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card.

I would test wired speeds during the day and again during evening peak times. If you obtain headline speeds during the day and poor speeds during the evening would indeed indicate your local segment is over utilised. Be aware this sort of problem can take a long time to fix.

Poor wired speeds 24/7 would indicate a technical problem, if this is the case posting the hub's power levels and network logs would help to diagnose the problem.

If you are getting headline wired speeds all the time would indicate a wireless problem.

0 Kudos