Menu
wuraka76
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 - is it always only 50% of the advertised speed?

Hi all,

I have just been connected to VM boradband (literally an hour ago). I have done a few speed checks with my work laptop, personal laptop and an iPad, using diferent tests on each. (Ookla etc) All of them come back around 50-60Mbps. I am suposedly getting 100Mbps...

So... as I am brand new to VM my questions are, Is this a common thing? should I expect only to get this amount? The Virgin website spouts about 99.8 speed for this time of day.

Secondly, is there any point in phoning? I am happy to be on hold for an eternity if it gets somewhere. If I am likely to et messed about with no resolution I would sooner get a brew on and read a book instead.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 - is it always only 50% of the advertised speed?

when frist boot up the router it does take time to build up the internet speed that you can get nomaly this is frist 24 hours just keep it on all the time it will pick up i know some people turn it off at night and the router does not take that much power to keep on 24/7

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

DavidJWalker wrote:
when frist boot up the router it does take time to build up the internet speed that you can get nomaly this is frist 24 hours just keep it on all the time it will pick up 

This isn't correct, with cable services like Virgin there is no 'training' period like the DSL based services (BT etc). It doesn't take time to build up the connection speed.

@wuraka76 - are you using wireless or a wired connection? if wireless, please try wired to see if it's a WiFi problem. Did an engineer install the service or was it a self install? There are some areas where speed drops at peak time due to over-subscription, but at this time of the day it should be possible to get full speed. 

wuraka76
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi cje85,

Thanks for the tip, I am on WiFi -  I might give your tip of trying a fixed connection a go tomorrow, i'll borrow a cable from work to see the difference. i'm still within the 14-day cooling off period, so I can always bin the contract if it isnt up to scratch. Unless of course VM are happy to accept a variable amount of payment each month. Ha!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello wuraka76

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems obtaining full speed. Your area traffic and connection look good so perhaps as cje85 mentioned it is down to the limitations of wireless. We have a guide here that may help to explain a bit more Getting the best Wireless Network Signal

Incidentally it looks like you have a wired device connected at the moment but the Ethernet has only negotiated a 100Mbps throughput. If protocol overheads are taken into account it may not be possible to get much over 90Mbps. Common causes of this are the limitations of the device Ethernet adaptor or not having the latest drivers or sometimes just the quality of the Ethernet lead.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos