Menu
Exasive
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 - Port forwarding - Utilization issues

Hey,

Area 20 user here, wanted to hopefuly speak to a Virgin Media employee in regards to my current fault issue of utilization – F004822975, below is a BQM over the last day.

BQMBQM

Just some info before I describe my problem, I’m an avid gamer and genuinely want a seamless speed of internet to play games, online games at ridiculously low ping, hence me being suckered into the Vivd gamer package. 200mb down, 20mb up and no traffic management? Yes please!

although my speeds are fine through speed test’s and my pings are very very low to my nearest server as seen below:

SpeedsSpeeds

(Can someone also clarify why speed test's bring back under 20 latency when thats not that case also?)

I was wondering if port forwarding would help at all reduce the latency whilst I have exceptional speeds according to my fellow Area 20 counterparts – it’s just the lack of consistency/packet drops/spikes of connection which is the issue.

Having been a Virgin customer for a few years and being very happy still even with these slight issues as streaming can sometimes be painful when the high ping/dropped packet kicks in, the services are normally on point.

But I’d like to see if anyone would make sense of port forwarding online game server ports to make any difference on the high pings.

Thanks

Sam

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 - Port forwarding - Utilization issues

The high pings at peak periods are caused by the overutilisation fault. And no amount of port forwarding will help.

Off peak you're still showing spiking latency. Are you using HUB3?

deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Being on the gamer profile I default to you using the Hub 3, this means your suffering the Puma CPU lag issue and until virgin update the firmware with a fix your pings will be somewhat spikey!
0 Kudos
BlackDwarf
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 user here also. On the Homeworks 300 package and due to the Hub 3 pings are garbage and speeds are usually far nowhere near the 300.

BQM here:

My Broadband Ping - VM300

And here's a snapshot of hourly speedtests on my line, ranging from 15! Mbit/s at 8 last night, to 284 at 3 in the morning, however look at those pings.

2kjz0dk

0 Kudos
Exasive
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Thanks for the reply,

Yeah i'm using the HUB 3, i've still got the HUB2ac though, but I was told it's not compatible with the Vivid 200 Gamer package and i'd need to use the Hub3 to benefit.

0 Kudos
Exasive
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do you mean the Puma CPU lag? Can you clarify a bit?

I'm using the Hub 3, would it be worth while for me to drop back to the Hub 2 to test?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BlackDwarf
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Exasive wrote:

How do you mean the Puma CPU lag? Can you clarify a bit?

I'm using the Hub 3, would it be worth while for me to drop back to the Hub 2 to test?

Thanks

The Hub3 uses a chipset which has known issues, main thread for discussion is here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latenc...

Exasive
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, i've read into the details, Spoke with virgin media support staff, confirmed they don't believe its an issue and i'm at a loss on what to do now...

Its because i'm in the area for a utilization fault - they're riding that as the superhub 3 not being a factor in this, despite the manufacturer agreeing that there is a known issue.

0 Kudos