Menu
cave1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Area 20. New install (50Mb). Sensationally slow speeds.

Hi all. 

I had a new fiber installation 15 days ago but my access speeds are ridiculous. I average about 2-3Mbps on speedtest.net at peak times. I never expected to get the advertised speeds but this is far slower than my old cheap-as-chips 10mb non-fiber line. This evening marks a new low, 0.21Mbps down!

I have previously called to complain, had my box rebooted etc but nothing has changed. I am using a wired connection directly to the router.

Can anyone advise me on my options? Is it possible to cancel my subscription based on slow speeds (I'm literally getting 1/250th of the advertised speed)?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20. New install (50Mb). Sensationally slow speeds.

If you complain and they confirm that the crap speeds are due to over-utilisation, then they should not impose any early contract termination charges on you.  Given their record of keeping their side of a deal however, you might want to ask them to put that in writing before you cancel the contract.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

LOL a day too late for simple answers (14 day change of mind clause)  but still....

Are you seeing better speeds outside of peak times?

If so, likely its overutilisation, wait for staff t confirm and issue an F number.

If not, likely its a poor setup and power levels are out of whack.

Let us know, well tell you how to move it forward.

0 Kudos
cave1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I haven't had much chance to check off-peak times but in general, yes they are near the full expected speed. What is an F-number?

OK, sounds like I'll just have to get back on the phone and work through with them to try to end the contract. Very disappointing since we had to have the garden dug up and I was genuinely looking forward to decent internet speeds for once! Oh well. Wish me luck.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As 1st line support are generally - whats the expression I'm looking for...... oh yes ..."pants" you would be better advised to wait for staff on here to issue you an F number (fault number referring to overutilisation in most cases) . which you can use to

• Get a service credit against your bill
  • Push to be released from contract early without any EDF's (Early disconnection Fees)

But if you want to try 150 , knock yourself out.

"Luck" ? We shouldn't be wishing you luck we should be wishing you the strength of character to endure a CIA waterboarding as its preferable to talking to 1st line support.

pete7049
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Kippies. Thanks for that mate. I just spat beer on my keyboard. Smiley Happy

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
cave1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Gah! Why didn't I cancel when I had the chance? I think I was secretly hoping it would get better. How do I request a staff member on here provide me with an F number?
0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You'll have to wait 7-14 days to get a reply from VM (Unless a Superuser tags it for you. Smiley Wink ). But, as you're a new customer, and if you're suffering from the dreaded over utilisation in a previously known area for it, you should be able to cancel with out £ penalties. 

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

cave1 they should have told you that the area was oversubscribed, or over utilised as like to say.

Just to add to VM's code of practise, or lack of it, OFCOM rules:

Quote from OFCOM: Codes of practice

Under the voluntary code of practice on broadband speeds, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) agree to give clear information on broadband speeds to consumers when they consider or buy a home broadband service, and to provide redress when speeds performance is poor. Ofcom and ISPs have agreed a revised code which came into effect on 1st October 2015.

Links to the revised code, and a plain English guide for consumers are provided below.

List A shows those ISPs who have confirmed that they have now implemented and are signed up to the 2015 Code. ISPs who have signed up have agreed to abide by the principles and spirit of the Code. This does not guarantee compliance but we expect signatories to commit to honour the letter and spirit of the Code. We will monitor compliance with the Code using measures such as ongoing mystery shopping.

List B below shows those ISPs who informed us, at the time of implementation of the revised 2015 voluntary Code of Practice or at a later stage, that they want to sign up to the Code once they are compliant with the requirements.

If you are an ISP and would like to sign up to the voluntary 2015 Code of Practice, please email Celia.Pontin@ofcom.org.uk

List A

• BT
  • Sky
  • Virgin Media
  • KC
  • EE
  • Talk Talk
  • Vodafone
  • Zen Internet

List B

• Hyperoptic
  • Plusnet
  • InTouch Systems
  • The Co-op
  • Post Office

So VM have actually broken that code with their sales team, and OFCOM will be told Via CISAS, we need more people to make official complaints as soon as.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
cave1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for the help. Will the fact that I've marked this thread as 'solved' stop a staff member from looking at it and giving me an F-number? Should I start a new one? Thanks.
0 Kudos