Menu
dj_nyc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Area 15 line speed (again)

I am in Area 15 and now seem to be resigned to the fact that my 152Mbps line speed is rarely going to get above 50Mbps. Indeed it is more usually somewhere between 10Mbps and 30Mbps and we tend to get a dropped line about one evening in three.

Given that I am paying for one service but am demonstrably getting the equivalent of a service costing less than half as much, does anyone know how I can look into getting some kind of compensation? Given the government's recent announcements this feels like it fits into the current news agenda.

I don't have a Virgin Landline (a legacy of the troubles with BT Broadband that led me to VM in the first place) and am at work 9-5pm. So how am I meant to make contact with someone who will actually be able to give a non-scripted and useful response?

If anyone knows the "trick" I would be grateful to hear.

(And if a VM representative reads this then I would be grateful if they could advise!)

DJN

My Broadband Speed Test

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Area 15 line speed (again)

Hi dj_nyc,

I am sorry to hear about your 152 Mbps broadband speeds not getting above 50 Mbps, I can appreciate this must be frustrating for you so apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've had a look at your connection and I can see that we are planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area, the upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during peak hours.

The reference number is F002439506 and is currently set for review on 03/02/16, for any further updates on this issue just post back here closer to the date and we'll take another look for you.

Best wishes, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi dj_nyc,

I am sorry to hear about your 152 Mbps broadband speeds not getting above 50 Mbps, I can appreciate this must be frustrating for you so apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've had a look at your connection and I can see that we are planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area, the upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during peak hours.

The reference number is F002439506 and is currently set for review on 03/02/16, for any further updates on this issue just post back here closer to the date and we'll take another look for you.

Best wishes, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dj_nyc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick response, Adam, and thanks for the reminder about the impending upgrade works. Of course, the amusing bit is that officially these are to upgrade the connections from 152 to 200Mbps. Since, in fact, I am currently ticking along at a mighty 2Mbps (I joke not) that all seems a bit unlikely.

Could you clarify whether these upgrades are likely to improve the peak performance (meaning anytime in the evening) or whether they will simply boost the theoretical top-end performance? As an indicator, my 152Mbps line achieved an apparently amazing 50Mbps when I checked it at 11am today. But... this is still 1/3 of the speed I am paying for; it just seems impressive compared to the 1/100th that I am achieving in the evenings.

For info to anyone reading this. I spoke on the phone to a very helpful customer services person who immediately gave me a rebate of £14 or so for the last billing period in compensation.

We shall see what the new year brings...

DJN

0 Kudos
MrDark
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I am also in area15 and on the virgin 200Mbps package and most of the time get less then 5mbps.

Today I am getting 2.72Mbps

https://gyazo.com/31bedc617fdb7e2d5829edf3b6094240

virgin saying they are going to fix it in 3 months is a joke, If you can leave. it wont get better

The only thing worse then Virgin medias terrible broadband speeds is there awful customer service
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi DJN,

The 200Mbps speed boost is not part of this reference number. The upgrade work planned is to alleviate the demand on the network.

The work may involve building a new CMTS which would also be ready for 200Mbps so it may be a case of 2 birds 1 stone. At this stage I don't know what they're going to do.

Hope this explains things a little better.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
dj_nyc
Tuning in
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rich_B,

I might be being stupid here, but how do I investigate the status of a fault like "F002439506"? Service status doesn't let me search for a specific fault. Moreover, given that this is a fault which is in the system and which is significantly affecting the quality of our service, why does it not show up on the Service Status?

A quick search on Google has this problem mentioned in a post on 30/9/15, so we are now looking at least a four month turnaround on what seems like a fairly major issue which must be affecting a lot of people (many of whom are paying a significant premium precisely so that they can get a decent line). 

I am very grateful for your clarification but still more than a little disappointed that a company which makes such a fuss of its line speed can be so seemingly content to ignore or to hide a major failing in its infrastructure.

DJN

0 Kudos
adamski0305
Joining in
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I see this one went dead. I just signed up on Saturday in Area 15. Getting appallingly low speeds at peak,1.5 tonight and every night since I joined. Set up is fine as managed to get 80 this morning at 9am. Not much use then though!

Not sure whether to leave and try BT, although you mention you had trouble with that as well, or wait till Feb 3 and see if they can improve the situation. 

0 Kudos
dj_nyc
Tuning in
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Well, February the third is now very close at hand and things haven't really changed... It would be good to know, Rich_B, whether fault "F002439506" is still live and due for a review on 3/2/16. Could I reiterate my request to find out how us minions can check the status of such a code?

Regards,

DJN

0 Kudos
schsmith
Tuning in
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Virgin the Ofcom Code of Conduct you signed up to says you have to pay redress when you don't deliver the speed we pay for. It is clear anyone on XL has been ripped off for over a year and you should be refunding all of us for the breach of the code, breach of contract and mis-selling. I plan to take this up with the Ombudsman and Ofcom. Anyone who wants to join me like this and let's use social media to get Virgin to compensate us and fix the problem.
joshua_w1
Joining in
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I'm now three days into my Vivid 100 contract. Day 1 was superb. Exactly what I was expecting. 

The past two days the connection speed has been appalling. Worse than when I was on basic non-fibre broadband with SKY, and that was pretty awful. 

I haven't had download speeds above 2mbps for the past two days! 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5089189827.png

I am contacting customer services tomorrow, as I'm still well within my first 14 days. I extremely disappointed that the broadband service I signed up for is so poor. 

Is there going to be a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of speeds? Or should I just cancel and look somewhere else? 

0 Kudos