Menu
marcp85
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Area 14 - Pathetic speeds/reliability for 9 months+...

Hello.

I've been having issues with my broadband for over 9 months now. No one at Virgin Media really seems to give a s**t. The best they can do is offer £7.00/£10.00 off my monthly bills. The trouble is, with the service I'm getting at the moment, it's not even worth paying for as most of the time, it is simply not usable. 

I really don't understand why Virgin Media deem it acceptable and are allowed to continue to charge their customers £30+ each month when their service is clearly sub-standard. They're more than happy to post a letter to you advising you that your bills are increasing though! It's like they are playing some sort of sick joke. 

They don't even have the decency to contact their customers to give them updates or to let them know when issues may be fixed. All 'technical support' do is read from a script, run the usual tests and tell you that the problem is due to 'high network utilisation'. 

The issues started in March 2016 , were going to be fixed by April, then September, the December and now apparently they won't be fixed until April. I just know that when April comes, they'll say that it will be July/August.

Honestly, how Virgin Media are able to sell their customers '50mbps fibre broadband', the 'best broadband in the country', if their network clearly cannot support their existing customers? How do they get away with it? How can it possibly take so long for such a large company to fix on-going issues?

Using Speedtest.net, I'm lucky if I get even 3mbps down and 1mbps up. It's often down to less than 1mbps, with a ping of 300+ms. That's when it's working... Everything that uses the internet is either extremely frustrating to use or simply not possible. 

They even managed to **bleep** my December bill up so I'm now expected to pay two months worth of service this month, minus a generous (yeah right!) £10.00 deduction. So basically, this month, they want £46 from me for a service that I cannot use 90% of the time. 

I'm simply not paying them until I have answers. Has anyone had any luck with Ofcom? I've even emailed their CEO (Tom Mockridge) on a couple of occasions, the last was 7 days ago but I've not had a response yet. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect Tom himself to personally email me back, come round to my house, have a cup of tea and a chat with me and then fix my broadband himself, but I did think that emailing the CEO may add some weight to my claims, possibly get something fixed or at least get someone to contact me. It would appear that I was just being optimistic.

Really, I should have expected nothing less from Virgin Media - a shambles of a company who appear to be ripping their customers off left right and central. You have only got to look at the sheer number of people complaining about their service on Twitter, on here and on other forums to see just how widespread the problems are. They clearly can't cope with customer demand and seem unable to do anything about it. Want to sign up and give them your money though? Not a problem - they'll happily rip you off each month!  

So, what can I do about it? Anything? Would anyone from Virgin Media like to contact me for more information and actually provide me with some answers? 

To be honest, regardless of what they say, I will probably be moving to Sky anyway. 9 months of issues is simply not acceptable, whatever their excuse. Sky's headline top speed is not as fast as Virgin and I'll have to pay for a landline that I do not need but, hopefully, I'll be able to receive the service that I actually pay for from Sky and not have my pants pulled down each month, like Virgin seem to enjoy doing. 

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long rant! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 14 - Pathetic speeds/reliability for 9 months+...

Firstly, stick with me on this- Im not attacking you in an way, but your post is a summation of several things, including an answer to the question you pose, as to "How VM get away with it"

VM are compliant with Of-com regs. Where overutilisation is evident on a network segment, they have a remediation process agreed with the regulator. I'm not going to break it down into the different stages, but it is a drawn out process of temporary fixes which may or may not sort the issue out and the final stage is to split a network node so there are less people using it. Getting there takes a long time. In the meantime you are offered a service credit.

Overutilisation is characterised by peak speeds slowing to a crawl but usually full speed at silly O'clock. If you dont ever get near your headline speed you have another problem (likely signal levels) on top of overutilisation, which makes everything worse.

If you are content with that situation, and accept the service credit every month, VM receive what? 75%? of their monthly subscription every month. Dates you are given are review dates, not fix dates.

So they are compliant with regs and receive the majority of the monthly subscription from EVERY consumer in the same position as you.

Taking emotive language out of it, you have a choice to make. Stay or go. If you chose to stay, you are choosing to "have your trousers lowered every month"

For information, YOU dont contact OFCOM, you contact CISAS. Going down that route may well get you a better credit in time, but it takes time to go through the process. The CISAS website has full details...

https://www.cedr.com/cisas/

If you decide to leave, which you say you already have, simply ring in to retention's, during UK office hours, quote them your F number, tell them you wish to leave as VM cannot provide the service contracted by their own admission, and if they tell you you will be liable for early disconnection fees, go down the CISAS route.  Telling them that's what you are doing is usually enough to get EDF's dropped.

pete7049
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good and concise advice!
F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
marcp85
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

What's an EDF though?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

EDF's=Early Disconnection Fees.