Menu
GB10
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Area 12 - deterioration of service

Hello all,

I had originally composed the below in the intention of sending via email, but after being unable to locate a suitable email address I have found my way here. After reading several posts it appears my issue is not unique and judging by comments made by others have concluded that even though I would prefer not to I will probably have to move to BT’s Infinity service. That said, I feel it is only fair to allow a Virgin representative the time and opportunity to respond:

I have used your broadband service for several years without issue until recently. Currently everything works reliably and as expected during daytime/off-peak hours but every evening since January from around 19:00 onwards the download speeds deteriorate to approximately 1-2meg with a ping frequently in excess of 20ms.

The quality of service is so bad during this time we cannot satisfactorily stream TV services, reliably use game consoles or browse the internet at a sensible pace. Working full time, 95% of my usage falls within these hours.

I concluded that as this issue is only affecting the peak usage times it is a result of contention or over-subscription in my area, something that was eventually confirmed during a telephone conversation to a member of the off-shore support team on the 8th February (call ref. F003733824.) During this call my account was credited £6.50 for loss of service and I was promised that my speed and service level would return to a normal acceptable level on the 15th of February; it is now the 28th and I am yet to notice any improvement.

I would be grateful if somebody could please confirm what corrective actions will be implemented to restore my service to its original standard, advise a guaranteed date on which this will occur and issue a further credit to my account for the ongoing lack of service of which I continue to pay for.

GB10

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 12 - deterioration of service

Area 12 (B45) here too and the review date is pushed forward yet again to the 7th June incase you were not aware where it will no doubt be pushed forward again.

Atleast we get a refund of...

Untitled2.png

0 Kudos
GB10
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.

I was not aware of a planned review for this area and this was not mentioned during my telephone conversation.  Are you requesting a loss of service credit manually each month or are you credited this amount automatically?  More to the point, how is £3.02 ever considered a suitable level of remuneration?

I wonder if the degradation of service varies dependent on package subscribed to?  I have no real need for anything in excess of 50meg; if my package was increased to the next tier (150meg?) I wonder if at peak times the speed would fall to a level that causes less interruption to my typical use?

GB10

0 Kudos
GB10
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A speed test run now gives me a stable 55meg download with 7ms ping.

Could a Virgin representative please confirm that over-subscription within my area is acknowledged and advise a review date?  Would also welcome details of how you intend to compensate me for loss of service ongoing?

GB10

0 Kudos
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think I've just made your problems worse by foolishly signing up to VM about 2 weeks ago thus further over subscribing the network, sorry.  Good speeds in the morning but midday to midnight it is no better than my previous ADSL.

The problem I suspect is that there are zero cable competitors in my area. It's VM or no one so everyone using cable is using the same supplier.

0 Kudos
GB10
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A week passes, the quality of service remains the same and I still await a response from a Virgin Media representative.

The costs to migrate to the BT Infinity service are agreeable, so I think that is the direction I'm heading....

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't think there's anything anyone can say here that you don't already know. The forum mods will eventually tell you the cause of your problem and confirm or give you a new fault reference number. They'll tell you (despite what you heard from customer services) that they don't give "fix" dates, only "review" dates. Why one team says one thing and the othe something completely different, I have no idea, but it does give you some insight as to why VM's customers get so frustrated trying to deal with the company.

If you want refunds and updates on progress, it's entirely up to you to keep on chasing VM, because they won't lift a finger to update you or credit you unless you ask. The only place to get the right info is here and it takes a week to get a response. If you have a utilisation fault then you're in for the long haul. Some faults have been ongoing for more than two years, so if you're thinking of getting out — do it now and save yourself a great deal of wasted time and frustration.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey there GB10,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems with your connection, I want to look into this for you, but I can't seem to find your account info. Would you please drop me a PM confirming your address so I can investigate further.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
GB10
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New personal best achieved tonight - do I win a prize?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6130547461.png

Heather, you have a PM.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello GB10,

Thanks for confirming your details for me Smiley Happy

I've just replied to your PM.

Thanks for your continued patience,