Menu
tabatharf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Area 04 Wolverhampton Poor Speeds

I'm on 200MB service at the moment. Speeds have been pitiful for about 4 days now. I'm lucky if I get 3MBS on Ookla. Spoke to the guy in the Mumbai or wherever it is callcenter. He gave me the old stock response of there being upgrades in my area and my speed will be low for  1 - 3 months Smiley Tongue

I got the same response just over 12 months ago until I got on the horn to a customer services guy in the UK who pretty much sorted me out in about 10 minutes. Switched me to another port/stream/pipeline/whatever the hell its called. This was after Christmas gaming was ruined for my kid of course, but he sorted it.

Anyways I'm having the same issues again, speeds have been good until the last few days, I've said many times to my wife when it's working Virgin broadband is the best, when it's playing up it's like pulling teeth getting it fixed. I'm almost at the end of my contract again, just like last time (I'm convinced this is the only reason the guy fixed it for me btw).

Before I get on the blower again to complain, take a look at my numbers to see if anything obvious pops at to you if you know better than me.

PS4 and Xbox 1 patches take hours and hours, Netflix and Amazon, unusable so I want it sorting.

Cheers.

Start with a couple of speedtests to see where I'm coming from

Speed Test 1Speed Test 1

Speed Test 2Speed Test 2

UpstreamUpstream

DownstreamDownstream

I reset the post and pre-RS Error logs after this post and the PreRS errors have started to climb again 

0 Kudos
tabatharf
Tuning in
Message 2 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 04 Wolverhampton Poor Speeds

Update, Errors have started to climb again not sure if it's relevant but her it is anyways.

This screenie taken about 10 mins after resetting counters

10 mins after reset10 mins after reset

0 Kudos
Byte
Tuning in
Message 3 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Same area, same issue, sadly. Had this for about same time as you. 4 days. I was told over phone there was maintenance in our area being carried out. My connection is usally great during morning and early afternoon 70-100mbs out of our 152mb. Although by 4-5pm the connection just dies and wont pick up again till about 12:30am. I just end up with speeds of 0.10 to 0.80 or small spikes into 2mbs till then. Along with very high ping.

Its beyond a joke :/ i expected more from a such a huge company, charging us £90 a month for our package. 

0 Kudos
Castle5
Joining in
Message 4 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Another one in Wolverhampton with slow speeds here. Not positive if I'm area 04 or not, but about 4 days ago speeds went down the toilet. Curiously, last night I had dreadful speeds all evening, and at 12am EXACTLY speeds kicked back to full. It's like they were throttling me or something. Today, terrible speeds again. I'll be watching closely tonight at midnight.

0 Kudos
tabatharf
Tuning in
Message 5 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Forget the call centre guys, they just read from a script, best bet is to ask to speak to customer services it worked for me last time, the guy gave me a discount to boot as I was out of contract, as I almost am now. So other options are available. Sadly I work in the daytime so It's a pita calling them from work.

I did test my speeds before I went to work this morning and I was getting 7MBS at 7:30am, pretty grim for 70 quid a month.

0 Kudos
tabatharf
Tuning in
Message 6 of 81
Flag for a moderator

It tells you next to your account number when you sign in what area you are but I'd bet a bag of jelly babies you are 04 too Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Castle5
Joining in
Message 7 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I can never remember the sign-in password, what with the absurd password requirements Virgin have on random services! Forums is one set of requirements, account login another set, router another set...

Just checked a bill, though, and I am indeed 04.

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Area 04 as well,3rd year running ...crap.

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
Castle5
Joining in
Message 9 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I'd say 90% of the time I get the full speed I pay for. But every few months there will be a few days where everything slows down and the service becomes very unreliable. I normally phone up and kick up a fuss until things are sorted out, but I've been a bit short on time recently and not been able to spend my normal 2-3 hours on the phone complaining up the ladder. If things haven't picked up in the next couple of days, though, I definitely will be doing so!

The frustrating thing here is the consistency of what times it sucks and what times things are fine. It really does feel like throttling.

0 Kudos
maxmarutti
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Same --> area c. 04 

link > AREA CODE 04  stats pics logs

@thinkbroadband
0 Kudos