Menu
FireflyFlux
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Area 04 Oversubscribed

Hi Folks,

An engineer visited my house last week to investigate the poor speeds delivered by our broadband connection. Having triaged the issue, all of our equipment was fine, power levels were adequate to the router, connections were tight and secure etc.

Having investigated for over two hours he was able to identify that the cause of the issue was too many users were plugged in to our street box. This issue was logged as over utilisation. The engineer forgot to issue us with the fault code.

Could a forum moderator please find out the fault code and the anticipated date for review?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Up to speed
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 04 Oversubscribed

I'm in Area 04 too (DY2).

My service was fine up until a few weeks before christmas.

Had a phone call about a week ago telling me the load is high in the area, I asked "Oversubscription?" the guy replied Yes.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5954646541

I phoned up yesterday to cancel, god what a hassle.

First the guy tried blaming my hardware. No, 2 top end PC's speed testing similar results.

Then the guy on the phone started questioning my downloading usage, it sounded like he was insinuating I am the cause of the "utilisation". I explained to him I have 3 gamers in this house as well as multiple PC's, PS4's, Smart phones and a Sky BOX connecting to the connection.

He also tried to tell me that the fault is temporary and tried bribing me with discounts. Saying that Sky will never offer me anything near what I get from VM?

OH REALLY?  Sky's estimated 66.8 - 80 and VM's "ViVID 200" is giving me 7.

In the end the guy finally got the message that I am not going to be bribed. My ViVID 200 cancels on 9th February.

Sky Fibre max is being installed for me on the 24th.

Good Riddance VM.

Left VM 9th Jan 2017 due to high utilisation. Enjoying reliable services with Sky Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
FireflyFlux
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

That is really useful to know because it was around that time that I first started to notice the problem (DY9). It hasn't been quite so bad the past week, perhaps since kids are back at school and parents back at work. I certainly notice a drop off in performance during peak hours!

I've been with Virgin back since the Telewest days and haven't ever had speed issues until now so hopefully this issue gets resolved without too much delay!

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Up to speed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The connection was fantastic up until 2-3 weeks before christmas.

We used to get 180-200 at peak times.

The utilisation isn't affecting gaming latency but that's not why I left VM.

I am not paying £46.19 a month for 7mb/s

Best advice I can give you is ditch VM.

Sales know too well what capacity a specific area has but they still put people onto lines where capacity cannot hold them.

Left VM 9th Jan 2017 due to high utilisation. Enjoying reliable services with Sky Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
woodfieldmark
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick note to chip in that I've had poor performance issues in area 04/DY8 for nearly 12 months, and anyone hoping this will be fixed soon should know that the fix/review goalposts have been shifted by Virgin throughout this time; August 16 became January 17, and this has now become April 17.

Speed test a few moments ago suggests 3mb from the 100mb package, so I'm also likely to join Sky imminently!
0 Kudos
thenettlefolds
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Same here.

I'm in Telford, cancelled VM yesterday, signed straight up to Sky fibre max.

My thread:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Dont-buy-Virgin-Internet-in-LAWLEY-VILLAGE-Telford/m-p/328...
0 Kudos
hortonj88
Up to speed
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The Cabinet is approximately 160 metres from my house so I'm going to get good speeds with Sky.

Sky "Fibre" is all about distance to cabinet, not exchange.

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am yet to see an honest post that VM have sorted an overloaded network fault.

With the marketing dept being streets ahead of the rest of the company you think they would be on here shouting about all there work they are doing and have done to fixed this problem out..

I think the silence speaks for itself..
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This company is finished honestly as they have so much over utilization they can't possibly fix it in a good time frame. Time to switch!

0 Kudos
Zebo
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Area 04, Wednesbury. 

Since september 2016 i cannot play games whilst someone else is watching youtube at the same time, i pay for 100 yet get 2-5mb/s. I called up, they keep on telling me they have maintenance scheduled. Last time i called they said the '' delays '' are due to the fact they have to wait a long time for the government to allow them to dig into the ground for cables, or something like that. It kind of confused me, i phoned up about 4 times since september, no speed improvements. 

Normal speed times - 1AM - 10AM. 

Im scared to move to eg. BT as virgin media has the '' fastest speeds in my area'', so what if i quit my 10+ year old contract with VM for BT but 2 months later they fix the internet here. What do you guys think.  

0 Kudos