Menu
Daniel283
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Area 04 Internet speed SLOW

The speeds I'm getting is an absolute joke. 100mb I'm meant to be getting, I get around 7mb and I'm sick of being told high usage in my area cables being replaced. Is there anything I can do to increase the snail like speeds? I've informed Virgin I'm contacting Trading Standards for false advertising. They didn't sound bothered or surprised.

0 Kudos
AllTimeMitch
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 04 Internet speed SLOW

Hey Dan,

Surprisingly my first post about this problem.

There is absolutely nothing you or the trading standards can do about it because you brought "up to" 100mbps. As long as Virgin is providing you with an internet connection, they're in the right. The most you could do is complain that the internet connection isn't reliable enough to do as they've promised such as watching online content and leave to go to another provider. The problem you have is BT Openreach who supply the other providers. Unless you're in a super-fast or ultra-fast fibre street, then you're stuck with ADSL speeds which are probably going to be better than what you're getting now. It's a sucky situation but one that you can't win.

Now, let me tell you a secret. The staff on the forums will not help you in any way and neither will the foreign call centre on the phone because they literally can't. This is a problem that requires a lot of work to fix. Area 04 is mainly Wolverhampton, some parts of Walsall, and in between. Because of the free speed upgrade that happened last year, it caused a massive congestion on the network which requires an update which involves digging up some roads which are a costly job. This was planned to be reviewed (not worked on) back in October, then was pushed to February just passed, and now the end of April under fault code F003978903. It's never going to happen this year, or probably next. In fact, some cities have been waiting for their network to be upgraded to support the traffic for three years and Virgin still lets in new customers and offer faster speed upgrades which halt the system even further. Madness.

BT Openreach has been working on my street for the past few weeks, and they have told me they expect it to be fibre-enabled within the next month or two with a guaranteed speed between 70-76. It's not the fastest speed of the planet, but I rather take this then the 5-10mbps I'm getting now (supposed to be on 200). In reality, Virgin can boast about their DOSCIS3 technology, but the cables and network just aren't ready for it. If I was you, I would give BT a call and see when you're going to be fibre ready and leave.

- Mitch

0 Kudos
tommey
Well-informed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree I am also in Area 04 B65 Rowley Regis and have had speed issues for years see my thread here its now 70 odd pages long with no fewer than 11 review dates which have been and gone since December 2014.

Now if they do eventually fix the peak utilisation issues and the puma 6 latency issues I bet it's when speed increases occur and we will be back at square one.

My personal opinion and own experience is if you need fast internet with minimal latency between 4pm and 1am then get BT fibre because you certainly will not be getting that from Virgin Media anytime soon...

Also if you have fault tickets from Virgin make sure you are getting monthly bill credits these along with so called loyalty credits can almost but for a few pounds pay for a BT fibre connection...

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

- First reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 -    - Review 01/05/15 - Review 12/08/15 - Review 14/10/15 - Review 04/11/15 - Review 15/04/16 - Review 06/07/16 - Review 31/09/16 - Review 30/11/16 - Review 15/02/17 - Review 12/07/17 - Review 20/09/17 - Review 14/06/17 - Review 10/01/18 - Review 25/04/18 - F004670584 << 3 YEARS+ 

But with BT Fibre I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

AllTimeMitch wrote:

Hey Dan,

Surprisingly my first post about this problem.

There is absolutely nothing you or the trading standards can do about it because you brought "up to" 100mbps. As long as Virgin is providing you with an internet connection, they're in the right.

- Mitch

CISAS would disagree with your "up-to" statement, as VM do have a "duty of care" to supply your contracted speed to a reasonable level, I have already had this with VM via CISAS and CISAS agreed and I won my case. "up-to" is not below the next tier, its between. Take you case to CISAS if you need confirmation.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The one man army...aim of his game to tarnish VM name even though he doesnt know each individual circumstance.

Very noble, but inaccurate information.

contact Vm in any situation or any external complaints will use that against customers..... 

OTT advice from this bartman once again....

not right.

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Again, I won't feed the new (xNTL) troll, I am in Area 04, so yes in the same boat, its up to you to follow the advise, but its all around you for a lot of areas, complain the official way as outlined in VM Complaints Procedure (Their rules) so its not "inaccurate" information, then follow CISAS rules, again not "inaccurate" information, its all there for everyone to use, even the uneducated troll. Its all official and government approved, not endorsed by the troll.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

speak to vm first before listening to his advice, save yourself months of waiting and emailing.

0 Kudos