Menu
three-kings
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Area 03/ Morden DNS server poor performance

Dear VM,

Just to let you know the DNS server for the Area 03/ Morden area is broken. We have been experiencing severe speed problems all over Easter. I have changed my DNS to Google and the my web/ internet fires up rapidly (instantly).

To conclude there is definitely a severe issue with the DNS for the Area 03/ Morden SM4 Area. Please investigate accordingly.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
hoggypotter
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Area 03/ Morden DNS server poor performance

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a solution any time soon. I was told that the recent poor performance was down to over utilization (too many people using the network) and until Virgin increase their capacity, it won't get any better.

I too had an engineer visit last week and all he did was change the attenuator from a 10dB to a 3dB connector, which hasn't made any difference.

Liberty Global paid a high price to purchase Virgin Media but they are clearly not investing in the network. This is not like America where large parts of the country are covered by one ISP. People in the UK have a lot more choice for their fibre needs and I believe Virgin will start losing customers in large numbers sooner rather than later.

The engineers can only do so much to cover up the cracks. 

The choice is simple, either put up with this mess until Virgin start looking at their WHOLE network or vote with your feet.

All Replies
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Three-Kings,

Thanks for letting us know you're seeing poor speeds over Easter. I've just checked your connection and everything looks perfectly fine at present. There was a fault raised over the weekend that closed just before midnight on the 27th which may be what you were experiencing.

Are you still seeing issues while using our DNS servers?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
three-kings
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, unfortunately switching back to the VN DNS is still incurring crippling slow performance (pages not loading, etc).

Our speed and performance has been abysmal all week and has been a continuing problem since upgrades and works were made in the area....

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Three-kings,

Sorry to hear that. I've just rechecked everything from here and everything still looks perfectly healthy. 

The cause of this may be somewhere deeper in the network. If you haven't already could you set up a Broadband quality monitor at Thinkbroadband.com and post it here for us to take a look at? Also could you run a trace route to BBC.co.uk and post the result here too?

If you could run one while using our DNS and another using googles that would give us a clear comparison.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
hoggypotter
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

Your not wrong there. Been having issues for the last 2 weeks in Morden and have a fault reference with a fix date of August! Man Mad

Currently being credited £10.00 per month until further notice.

Seems to have all gone **bleep** up since the Vivid upgrade which has gone down like a lead balloon across the country.

My service seems capped at around 8MB and I've also had to use Google or OpenDNS to get online.

0 Kudos
three-kings
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hoggy, I'm sorry to hear that but in a way, I am glad because it proves I'm right, and not going crazy! You're absolutely right since the VIVID upgrade in the area the Broadband service, speed and connection has been abysmal....

My service is still not working properly, and the speed is pathetic less than 1MB! I'm paying for 200MB. It is Unacceptable.

I have had an engineer visit and a new modem installed in last month both have not remedy the situation at all....

Virgin. We are both from SM4 / Area and have independently told you there is a fault in the area. It is clear there is a fault connected to the VIVID upgrade/ maintenance work done. This needs to be addressed now as a matter of URGENCY. This can't go on any longer.

I have been patient long enough but this has been going on since January, and despite the fact I haven't received any credits on my account for the inconvenience (I haven't even been offered this as a courtesy).

I'm seriously unhappy about this situation and very close to leaving Virgin Media all together. A resolution is needed ASAP.

Please advise?

jcmusic
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the 03 area also and the service at peaks times for me is unusable. This is just not good enough. I don't know how they can justify their behaviour. I know works have to be carried out but it shouldn't affect people's service so badly. I'll be leaving Virgin Media asap. 

0 Kudos
three-kings
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Fair usage policy. OK. But this is Ridiculous isn't it especially in peak times it is unacceptable.
0 Kudos
three-kings
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Still dealing with sporadic and very poor speeds has been like this all week. My Broadband connection is almost non-existent and unusable. Please can somebody from VM get in touch ASAP. This needs to be resolved it can't go on like this it has been over 3 months. Totally unacceptable.

0 Kudos
hoggypotter
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a solution any time soon. I was told that the recent poor performance was down to over utilization (too many people using the network) and until Virgin increase their capacity, it won't get any better.

I too had an engineer visit last week and all he did was change the attenuator from a 10dB to a 3dB connector, which hasn't made any difference.

Liberty Global paid a high price to purchase Virgin Media but they are clearly not investing in the network. This is not like America where large parts of the country are covered by one ISP. People in the UK have a lot more choice for their fibre needs and I believe Virgin will start losing customers in large numbers sooner rather than later.

The engineers can only do so much to cover up the cracks. 

The choice is simple, either put up with this mess until Virgin start looking at their WHOLE network or vote with your feet.