Menu
fdc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Area 01 very slow download on-peak

Hi

I've had ongoing issues with my download speed since joining Virgin. I'm on the vivid 100 package, and get download speeds in single figures when I get home in the evening. First thing in the morning i get 100+ which would be great were I here to use it!

I've tested this with LAN and wireless with mobile, laptop and PC.

Having read some other threads it looks like this could be a utilisation issue. So I have two questions

1. Is this a known issue in my area? (Customer services and the various engineers that have been out report no issues in the area, but I don't know whether they would have looked into this specifically)

2. If this is the issue, it sounds like it won't be resolved anytime soon. If that's the case, where do I stand on cancelling my contract? And will BT be any better?

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.

Yours
Frustrated of Area 01
0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 01 very slow download on-peak

Hi,

Roughly where are you? Area 01 covers places including Wigan, St Helens, Knowsley, Preston and outskirts of Liverpool. 

There are faults in some of these places but they're very localised. It's possible for you to be affected but someone a mile down the road might have no problem.

As for cancelling, if you're a new customer you have 14 days to cancel. If not, you should be getting notification of a price rise soon which will give you the option of cancelling without penalty. 

If BT fibre (or Sky, TalkTalk etc) is available in your area they will provide you with a minimum guaranteed speed and can usually deliver that constantly, even at peak times.

fdc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Rainhill. I've been a customer for a few frustrating months now, really disappointed to be honest, I was looking forward to being on a fast connection! Ah well.

Yes I did receive that letter, hadn't noticed the bit about cancelling, that's useful info cheers.

That's useful to know re guaranteed download speeds from BT too, cheers.
0 Kudos
fdc
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Related to this, does anyone know when the offer of a no-penalty cancellation expires (lost my letter)?
0 Kudos
sixstringsid
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This has been affecting me for a while now.  107mb through the day, lucky if i hit 10 during the evenings, somtimes my upload speed (6mb) is faster than download, no i'm not exaggerating.

When i login to my virgin it tells me that my speed upgrade to 150 will be ready at the end of august?  hmmm, i wonder what year though.  i don't wanna talk to support people/robots halfway around the world, i've been through that with virgin before and it just saps all the energy right out of me and ruins the day (you know the drill "lets start by restarting your computer please sir").  so i'm putting up with it for now.  considered switching to BT a few times but from what i've seen via friends and family that would be a move out of the frying pan into the fire.

i live in the WN2 area of Wigan in the centre of the universe otherwise known as Abram.

0 Kudos
fdc
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

For what it's worth, the guy I just spoke to at PlusNet said they could guarantee 79mb/s download speed in my area at peak times, and that this would be provided in writing... Not sure how trustworthy this really is, but still.
0 Kudos
sixstringsid
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just got off the phone with Virgin (upgrade/change services dept. not tech support), they acknowleged the utilisation problem in the Abram area, advised me they have a fixed by date of 12/10/16, knocked £10 off my bill, said if still not fixed by that date will knock some off my bill again.

Edit:

Sorry, forgot to mention I phoned the upgrade/change service dept. rather than tech support because I started the conversation with asking to downgrade my broadband to the 50mb package, may as well be paying less if they're only going to provide me with 10mb download right? 

0 Kudos
fdc
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So the engineer that I spoke to the other day assured that there were no utilisation issues in my area. Given that:

1. My download speeds are <10 mb/s on peak

2. On PC, laptop, mobile (so not a hardware issue)

3. Wireless and wired

4. My upstream / downstream parameters all seem normal.

What else could the issue actually be? Is it worth me pursuing this, or should I just write it off as a mystery, cut my losses and cancel my contract?

0 Kudos
TomSpeed
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bootle here, same issues for 12 months. They said they fixed it 2 weeks ago, it didn't work whatever they did, it's actually worse now. Just a few days ago they said they're reviewing it again on the 12th October.

"I've just taken a look and I can see that fault: F003401685 is currently on-going and will be reviewed on the 12/10." Heather_J, Forum Team.

0 Kudos
sixstringsid
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

well here we are, the magic date 12th october, just done a speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5709494056 dont know if that url will work or not, it shows my download speed at way less than half of what i'm paying for though.

actually, 30mb/s or so download is quite good for this time of night, its usually down nearer my upload speed.

0 Kudos