Menu
SJR_360
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin throttling users speeds?

So, for ages I've been finding my 150 Mbps connection has been dead slow. Rarely have I got near the service I've paid for right from the start, at least not with any sort of consistency.
Last week I noticed the speed dropped off MASSIVELY every evening. I posted a couple of comments on here in conjuncrion with a phone line failure (now fixed), and Nat J was very helpful. She told me that it was a known 'problem' in my area with high demand. I've monitored it everyday and it seems much more like Virgin are deliberately turning my speed down every day around 4pm. Get between 70-130 Mbps on average from midnight onwards, then boom, 4pm hits, someone flicks a switch and 10-20 Mbps if I'm lucky. The engineer that came to fix my phone line (which had mysteriously stopped working after work was going on in the cabinet down the road) checked everything with my router and the cab, all signals were normal.
Anyone else having similar issues, in particular in PO15 area?
Does anyone know the email address to send a formal complaint to? If this is a known issue it is a disgrace that they haven't formally told me and reduced my bill already. As they're only providing the speed I pay for at best 2/3 of the time I should only be paying a maximum of 2/3 of the bill!
I may escallate this to Ofcom or whoever regulates broadband.

Helpful Answers
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Are Virgin throttling users speeds?

I think they are, its called deliberate utilisation of local systems. why you ask, because they are taking their time fixing the issue (3 years soon, and what a legal case this is going to be Smiley Wink ) . Imagine taking your car to be repaired only to find that it will take as long as they want to to repair it but you still have to pay, you can use it when you don't need it, and stuffed when you do, but heyho, cough up buddy. Smiley Mad

Complain to CISAS

Have fun

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy

All Replies
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think they are, its called deliberate utilisation of local systems. why you ask, because they are taking their time fixing the issue (3 years soon, and what a legal case this is going to be Smiley Wink ) . Imagine taking your car to be repaired only to find that it will take as long as they want to to repair it but you still have to pay, you can use it when you don't need it, and stuffed when you do, but heyho, cough up buddy. Smiley Mad

Complain to CISAS

Have fun

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

They are not throttling. You are in an area of over utilization.

However, they could put some more money into staffing/training more engineers, and getting more fixes completed.

But as they are a company they (and their parent company, Liberty Global) will want to make a profit every year, not a loss.

Underinvestment combined with the growing internet demands (streaming) is what causes this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

SiKi
Up to speed
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I am trying to work it out, I have been in an high utilisation for 6 months now ( fault is running at 12 months now.)  

Been monitoring with ping graphs, speed test, traceroutes the lot and as soon as it hits 4pm speed drops to 5mbps and then and 1am it returns to a 'normal' speed now this you can set you watch by for the last 6 months (weekends it 10am to 1pm.)

Now over the last 6 months you would think there would be a window where speeds would go over 5mbps am on 200 so logic would say with peoples internet habits there would be a drop in demand and speed would naturally increase if only for a little time..

Just for the record when congestion is high i have been getting lower than 5mbps (sometimes as low as 1mbps) but never more than 5mbps. 

I dont think anyone can answer yes or no just by asking virgin 'do they throttle?' as on a perfect network they dont but in mine an other situations i believe they do as they would be daft to let it be a free for all in a over utilised network section there has to be some sort of management.. 

SJR_360
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

'Some sort of management...', maybe, but paying for 150 or 200 Mbps service to only receive 5 or 10 at the times you actually want to use it isn't 'management', it's daylight robbery and completely unscrupulous business practise. They shouldn't be offering high speed service in areas they can't provide it. Refunds all round?
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree with you i am disgusted with Virgin about this.. Reason i have not left yet is i was promised it would be fixed so as daft as i am believed them only to find out from here its a review date. But support staff are reading from a 'script' which makes it fine to give out wrong information to cloud your decision as when to leave..
KennyY
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

There's something seriously wrong somewhere given the amount of folk complaining about speed. I've had issues for 3 weeks. I get intermittent hours with no internet service. Called customer services and the guy said that there was a note on my account saying that I had breached my download limit. He laughed and said that he hadn't seen that message before. He restarted the router but problem not solved. Tonight things that were so bad that I called Virgin again. This time an Indian guy told me that my router hadn't been restarted in 45 days and that was the problem. He said that settings had got into my router and the only way to get rid of them was to restart it. I quickly realised that he had no idea what he was talking about. I agree that Virgin have either oversubscribed in my area or are throttling speeds. I'm on Vivid 200 for a 9 month deal. If this continues then I won't be staying. 

SJR_360
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If everyone writes a letter of complaint addressed to Richard Branson and also the regulator, CISAS maybe, just maybe something will get done. I'm not naive enough to think we'll all magically get Usain Bolt levels of speed, but maybe Virgin will be held to task and their unscrupulous business practises will be made to change. Personally I will be requesting a significant rebate and reduction in my bill. For reference, I can get a BT phone line, tv and infinity for £30 per month less than my virgin subscription. For that they offer a 52 Mbps service, in theory not as good as Virgin, but they GUARANTEE a minimum speed of 35 Mbps! So, 10-15 Mbps faster than my peak time speed and significantly cheaper. I shall be pointing this fact out to Mr Branson in my letter!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

You know Mr Branson sold the company right?

Liberty global are who own Virgin Media now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media broadband DOWN until 2017, company confirms

The above issue relates to  south west London but goes on to state that Twitter is "full of people complaining of speed problems and connection issues". But don't worry those of us suffering peak time over utilisation are only a small minority.... yeah.... OK!

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018