Menu
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Appalling latency

I didn't think I'd ever need to post in here regarding a poor broadband connection, as my service from VM has always been reliable.

But that has changed!

Four days ago there was a network change somewhere, as evidenced by a different IP address.

Since then, although the connection speeds have been relatively stable, the latency has been awful.  I am about to report this.. I'm not expecting to get it to be resolved by posting here, but I just need to blow off some steam.

BQM1.PNGBQM2.PNG

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Appalling latency

Hi jpeg1,

Thanks for getting back in touch so promptly, I can understand why you don't want to be missed that latency doesn't look great. 

I am going to pop you a quick PM now, keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi jpeg1, 

Thanks for getting back to me, that does look much better Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting that up it is always nice to see a connection working much better.

If you need any help in the future we will always be happy to help Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hello jpeg1,

Thanks for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Really sorry to see your reports of your latency issue. I've checked your account and nothing is standing out in error, also I can see that you've not called in to get support.

Has this settled down for you now? If not please let me know so I can continue to investigate.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Heather.

There was another issue in addition to the latency, and I started a discussion  in Tech Chatter, here:

I have not called in to report the latency problem because from the discussion in the other thread it is clear that reporting it is unlikely to achieve anything. That's if others' experience is anything to go by. The latency is still awful compared with the excellent service I previously had. However if there is any help at all that you can offer I would of course be eternally grateful.

The other thread is at:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Can-anyone-explain-this/td-p/3318496

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpeg1,

Hope all is well. Thanks for getting back to us.

Looking at the network there was reseg work completed which would would of caused some issues at the time, otherwise everything is now looking good with no errors.

Have you noticed an improvement at all since you last posted? If not, are you able to post an up to date BQM graph please?

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam. It's not significantly better I'm afraid. And still with that weird 6 hours cycle.

The speed has dropped in the last few days too, now hovering at about 100Mbps. A lot better than some people are having to get along with, but still very disappointing when I could previously boast such an excellent connection.

BQM.PNG

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

ask for a super hub.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Sorry? You'll have to explain that I'm afraid.

I'm using a Hub3 which has been working normally. I doubt if that is the problem since I was getting a good service until the network change

0 Kudos
8Ace
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

They probably mean ask for a Superhub2AC which seems to help massively. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpeg1, 

Thanks for keeping in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and I can see a number of T3 time outs but I cannot see the time frame they occurred in. Please re-boot the hub from the mains and let me know when you have done so. I will then be able to keep an eye on the time outs. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back, Emma.

I did call tech support and spoke to Sonny requesting a Superhub 2, to check if the problem was due to the known Puma 6 issue in the Hub3.

He promised to investigate and call me back but failed to do so. Smiley Sad

I have rebooted the hub as requested.  Could we please take this to a PM, as I don't want to let it drop.

Here's the latest BQM, showing the continued 6 hour cycle.

BQM4.PNG 

0 Kudos