Menu
andybatho
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Apalling evening speeds in TW13 area

I have been a customer of Virgin /Telewest for over 20 years now, i was one of the first to get broadband when Telewest released it.

Generally it has been very stable and reliable (apart from a couple of years ago when they "tidied" the cabinet and we lost everything for a week).

I have been running a Samknows box since 2013 and have seen some strange figures come and go.

Now since 2015 everything is going to pot, the broadband just loses the will to live in the evening and my so called 200Mb connection drops to the sub 100 (Speed test also shows the same).

I understand that this will be the often said "over utilisation" excuse but this is now getting ridiculous.

We pay a premium for all of these services (TV, BB & Phone) and feel that we are being short changed by a so called excellent provider.

I would have gone to SKY & BT by now but i am limited to a maximum of 1Mb at the moment and the wife does not want a dish on the wall.

I have attached a SamKnows graph for the last week, to be quite honest it is no different from any other week (20:00 all falls apart).

The last time i had a stable connection was 2013, i have had several upgrades of speed (50, 100, 152 & 200). I am still running the Superhub2 non AC version, i don't think that upgrading to the new white SH3 will make any different all though i know it has more channels. The issue seems to be in the big wide world and not anything in the house (i am a network engineer so can prove that everything is good inside).

Can someone please let me know when upgrades are going to be carried out in this area?

I am in the TW13 area.

if you need anything more then please let me know.

Best regards

Andy

SamKnowsSamKnowsDownstreamDownstream

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Appalling evening speeds in TW13 area

Hi andybatho,

Very sorry to hear about the connection issues you've been experiencing.

I've had a look at your account and I can't see any issues concerning either your equipment or network segment at present.

The levels are refreshed and there doesn't appear to be any faults detected.

If you are still experiencing poor speeds, it would be advisable to run a couple of speed tests at different times of the day when connected via Ethernet and in modem mode.

If you could then post your results here, I will be more than happy to take another look at this for you.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
andybatho
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat_J

Thank you for your reply, we do still have an issue in the evening.

I am in modem mode all the time.

I have attached some samples from the evening.

It seems to go pete tong in the evening as shown in the SanKnows chart.

There is definately an issue in this issue in the evening.

I do not think a SH3 would help as there seems to be other issues with this.

SamKnowsSamKnows

18:2218:2219:5919:5920:3420:34

0 Kudos
andybatho
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Another update as of 2 mins ago:

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 18.45.26.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello andybatho

Thank you for getting back. Your speed graph is pretty similar to the area utilisation pattern so this does look to be a factor. Speed does tend to drop at peak times however overall it does not exceed our threshold for escalation to our network team. We will continue to monitor the situation.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
andybatho
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apalling evening speeds in TW13 area

Hi Sorry for they delay, really slow internet speeds here in the evening!! there is a serious issue in the evening around this area.

200 paid for 30 every evening, is this what you really call "within reasonable levels"?

Come on please acknowledge that there is an issue in this area and address it like adults.

We pay a lot for this, only to be fobbed off by saying it is a reasonable service.

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 19.11.56.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi andybatho

Thanks for taking the time to post back on the community.

Sorry to see that you are still experiencing slow broadband speeds during the evenings.

I've taken a look at the network and the traffic is much better during peak hours and not breaching our threshold as my colleague Nicola mentioned.

Are you able to re-post the graph to see if you are still having the same issue please?

You mentioned that you use the Super Hub in modem mode, are you using your own router for the wireless connection?

Do you get the same speed test results if you connect direct to the Super Hub?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
maafty
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Im in a different area but my 200 line drops to 0.4 - VM "understand my frustration" 

issue is on going for over 2 years, and apparently being fixed, get a new fault reference every 3 months.

put simply VM dont care and dont fix issues. just make up fault references and take money

0 Kudos
andybatho
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, they seem to quite happily take the money and give regular price updates for less service, must be some sort of inverse pricing to quality structure. I think this might be the American way, less for more.

0 Kudos
andybatho
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi sam

ok, let me get this straight. I am not using WiFi, this is a pure hard wired connection through the router in modem mode to my Draytek router.

i have put it in to normal mode and tested again, same results during the day it is normal(ish) until about 19:00.

could Virgin not introduce a new pricing structure, charge the 200Mb price until 19:00 and the reduce the price for an up to 50Mb service until 00:00.

that way we will be getting better value for money as we are not able to get the top speed but we may be lucky to get 50.

i have attached another screenshot for the past 7 days, slight improvement but far from stable.Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 17.04.08.png

0 Kudos