Menu
Ditton33
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Anyone with slow internet speeds at peak times, this info might be helpful...

Having now been a VM customer for several years and suffered the VM network over utilisation/subscription "cycle of disillusionment" several times I thought I'd pass on my experience so the uninitiated can know what they might be in for...

Over utilisation in the Virgin Media broadband infrastructure is significant and impacting tens of thousands of VM customers across the UK.

Typically the way it works is the service starts to get progressively slower at peak times, if you contact VM they will identify it as an over utilisation problem and suggest it will be fixed on such and such a date, typically a month or so away (far enough away to buy them some time but not so far away that you will completely blow your top). If you ask you will get a partial refund on that month's bill (so do ask!) .

When you ring after the promised date to say your service is even slower, that date will have slipped another month, and then another month, and then another month etc etc (remember to ask for your refund each time!).

Typically it can take 12 months or more to get fixed, by which time your peak speeds can be sub 1Mb at peak times (because throughout this period VM are still merrily signing up customers to your already over subscribed areas promising them speeds that they simply will not get).

To add insult to injury, you will likely be offered a "free upgrade" on your service via email or post during this period. When all you want is to get the existing speed that you are already paying for.

Then, magically, it will be fixed. Then you will experience a period of decent speed, ie what you are paying for, until at some point your service will start to slow down and the whole cycle will start again.

Smiley Wink

montpelier
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone with slow internet speeds at peak times, this info might be helpful...

In my case I waited four months for the review that was due to be taking place today. Lord and behold it has not, and is deferred another four months. As you say, in the meantime I get fliers telling me how great my speed will be at the new increased rate. 

I decided to get in touch with Ofcom and see what they have to say about it. I read in the BBC that we are entitled to walk away if promised speeds are not materialised. In any case, we have to deal with all this just to get what we are paying for...

0 Kudos
snowy25
Superfast
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone with slow internet speeds at peak times, this info might be helpful...

It would seem to be different for different areas. My speeds gradually started to slow from their constant 152mb to around 15-20mb at peak times. Over the course of around 6 weeks I lost a lot of speed at peak times. In the end it was over utilisation was the given cause and I was given a review date of November 5th. I was credited for my poor service and was told to contact them after the 5th if the problem continued. However as I said different areas have different results because around the end of October my speeds got better and better. By Nov 5th my speeds were actually slightly improved and now I get 160mb speeds 24/7. So areas do get fixed on time and even before their review dates, its just a pain if your area is not one of them.
0 Kudos
montpelier
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I am getting 2 to 8mbps speed at best 9PM to midnight, every night, since June 2015. I was told there is a fault and would be fixed by 11 November 2015. Now, I am told that it is deferred to March 2016. 

I have read Ofcom website and you need to lodge a formal complaint with Virgin by calling them. These complaints are reported to Ofcom, so the more reporting there is, higher the likelihood of Ofcom checking it out. Furthermore, this complaint gives you the right to escalate it to Ofcom ADR should the issue not be resolved in a reasonable period. (In my case June to November wait, and being told now possible fix date is March, i.e. nine months!)

Remember, simply calling or writing does not help; you need to tell them that it is a formal complaint. 

This is a pity, because Virgin was reliable and fast until they dropped the ball big time in June 2015.

0 Kudos
Ditton33
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

During the first cycle of disillusionment I did go through the formal complaints mechanism via OFCOM. I also claimed £1000 compensation for inconvenience and stress caused by their inability to deliver the service they had contracted to deliver to me over a protracted period. My claim for £1000 was rejected (no surprise, I only added that to get their attention) but OFCOM agreed I was owed a written apology. Unfortunately I didn't realise I had to reply to OFCOM to say I was willing to accept their adjudication, hence they closed the claim after 90 days and I didn't get the written apology. Which is a shame as I would have framed it and proudly displayed it on the wall. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So what is the exact process of complaining. Maybe we should all complain, also lodging a nominal amount for compensation, yes the compensation will not be awarded but surely each complaint raised must end up in a central place within Virgin, the more they see then logically it means that someone in the company must want to do something as don't they publish the number of complaints each year?

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy

wackydude1234
Superfast
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

my review date is a year from the date it started.

philstar
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

you have to complain in writing or by phone. No email option of course Smiley Happy

Ofcom doesn't cover Virgin Media because its cable.

All that said check this:

Which? Speed petition

0 Kudos
Ditton33
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Probably worth bumping Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Shibli
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

yes and had enough, moving over to BT now! Would suggest the same.

0 Kudos