Menu
XanderGB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Another slow broadband at peak time post !!

Well, it looks like I have fallen victim to the Virgin Media High Utilisation issue. Signed up for 100mb broadband which has been great up until 3 or 4 weeks ago. It is still fine if I want to use after midnight and before 4 pm (which I never do)

I have done tests on speedtest.net for over two weeks now and getting anything from 10mb to 0.8 mb after 4 - 4:30 which is absolutely useless. I called Virgin who arranged for the engineer to come out. The engineer came yesterday to tell me that this is the exact problem that most customers in the forums are describing "High Untilisation"

How can Virgin Media legally sell a service and not give the actual service you are paying for like this !!

The engineer was a nice bloke and very truthful, advised around Wednesday next week there should be something official on the status page advising of this issue and an estimated date on the fix should be known. From what I see in the forums this estimated fix is usually dragged out and delayed anyway.

My contract does not end until July 2017. Anyone with experience of advise in cancelling early due to service failure ?

Many Thanks

Helpful Answers
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Another slow broadband at peak time post !! Area 04 Walsall

Your downstream power levels are quite high but just within the acceptable range.

It definitely sounds like a utilisation problem, and if so, these often take a year or two to fix, but you will be able to claim a small discount on your monthly bill if that's any consolation. One of the forum team will reply within the next 7-10 days and will confirm if it's a utilisation problem and send a PM with details about claiming a credit on your bill.

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Another slow broadband at peak time post !!

XanderGB wrote:

Well, it looks like I have fallen victim to the Virgin Media High Utilisation issue. Signed up for 100mb broadband which has been great up until 3 or 4 weeks ago. It is still fine if I want to use after midnight and before 4 pm (which I never do)

I have done tests on speedtest.net for over two weeks now and getting anything from 10mb to 0.8 mb after 4 - 4:30 which is absolutely useless. I called Virgin who arranged for the engineer to come out. The engineer came yesterday to tell me that this is the exact problem that most customers in the forums are describing "High Untilisation"

How can Virgin Media legally sell a service and not give the actual service you are paying for like this !!

The engineer was a nice bloke and very truthful, advised around Wednesday next week there should be something official on the status page advising of this issue and an estimated date on the fix should be known. From what I see in the forums this estimated fix is usually dragged out and delayed anyway.

My contract does not end until July 2017. Anyone with experience of advise in cancelling early due to service failure ?

Many Thanks

Don't make any further posts and a forum Team Member will eventually reply confirming if it is high utilisation/contention or not. If it is you will be given an apology, told  your connection has just been checked and you are affected by a contention fault, given the 'fault' reference or 'F' number and that it is due for review on some day/month/year. You may even be told that a network upgrade is planned.

They do take a very long time to fix (if at all! see my sig)
Best advice I can give you is to keep doing the regular speed tests showing the poor speeds and keep them as evidence of a degraded service.

If you are given an 'F' number, start a new thread with it in the title and request regular updates, especially around the review dates. Again this is for evidence.

As advised by cje85, you would be entitled to a loss of service credit payable every month that you suffer the loss of service if confirmed as due to high utilisation/contention.

You can still contact virgin by phone but if you want to make an official complaint at a later date with a view to exiting without penalties, written evidence is best.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018

All Replies
XanderGB
Tuning in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am in Area 4, Walsall...

thanks

0 Kudos
XanderGB
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

downstream.pngupstream.png

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your downstream power levels are quite high but just within the acceptable range.

It definitely sounds like a utilisation problem, and if so, these often take a year or two to fix, but you will be able to claim a small discount on your monthly bill if that's any consolation. One of the forum team will reply within the next 7-10 days and will confirm if it's a utilisation problem and send a PM with details about claiming a credit on your bill.

0 Kudos
XanderGB
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for letting me know. So best I wait for the PM rather than contact Virgin by phone next week ?

0 Kudos
debbiejson
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

so why are they upgrading people when they know it will take a year or 2 to sort it.. its wrong on so many levels this crap

ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

XanderGB wrote:

Many Thanks

Don't make any further posts and a forum Team Member will eventually reply confirming if it is high utilisation/contention or not. If it is you will be given an apology, told  your connection has just been checked and you are affected by a contention fault, given the 'fault' reference or 'F' number and that it is due for review on some day/month/year. You may even be told that a network upgrade is planned.

They do take a very long time to fix (if at all! see my sig)
Best advice I can give you is to keep doing the regular speed tests showing the poor speeds and keep them as evidence of a degraded service.

If you are given an 'F' number, start a new thread with it in the title and request regular updates, especially around the review dates. Again this is for evidence.

As advised by cje85, you would be entitled to a loss of service credit payable every month that you suffer the loss of service if confirmed as due to high utilisation/contention.

You can still contact virgin by phone but if you want to make an official complaint at a later date with a view to exiting without penalties, written evidence is best.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
XanderGB
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Any response from any forum team members regarding the high utilisation ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
slay
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same boat and the same area (Walsall).

I have had it confirmed on the phone that it is a high utilisation issue and the fix date is 28 Dec 2016.

I'm already out of contract so can cancel whenever but due to how good the service has been up until this particular issue, I have given them the benefit of doubt and prepared to wait till then.

If they don't meet that fix date though, I'm out.

XanderGB
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

These forums are like a horror story. So many people having the same issue !!!

These estimated fix date seem to get pushed back often. If they do finally get the upgrades done and they keep subscribing new customers the same area then the issues are going to keep occurring like a vicious circle.

I am not so optimistic !!    I had a letter from Virgin a few weeks back saying that maintenance to improve the service would be carried out. Since then it has never been as bad as it is now. I cannot use my broadband at all during the peak hours. The Engineer has been out and I am waiting for Virgin to confirm the high utilisation issue and advise the "F reference" to see what credit I can get back on my account. Bear in mind we have just had another increase on the bill too !

I have been a customer for a few years now and to be honest could not fault the service after I received an upgraded router. This service now at peak time is extremely poor and unusable and certainly not what I pay for.