Menu
christine_cv5
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Another one experiencing Exceptionally Poor Peak Speeds in CV5

Hi,

I recently moved from Kenilworth, a short way away, to coventry (CV5, area reference 31). My internet has gone from a consistent 20-30 down in the evenings in kenilworth to a tenth of that here.

I've been getting download speeds of 1-2 and higher latencies. My current speed, today, is a ping of 85ms, 2.6 down, and 2.77 up on speedtest.net:

[this was the content of my edit, I realised I should give some concrete numbers]

We talked on the phone to virgin and were told the issue was being looked into, and work would start at the end of December 2016.

We rang again after a spate of still terrible internet, and were told now that it will be worked in February.

After a night of, again, poor internet, I did a bit of digging. Having looked into the issue, I found this thread

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/CV5-Exceptionally-Poor-Peak-Speeds/td-p/2943075

from all the way back in 2015 experiencing the same problems.

Apparently this issue is perpetually 'under review', to the extent that on 19-07-16 the review date for this problem was pushed to 07/09/2016. 

I cannot believe it has apparently gone on for this long. Can I please get some advice on when an actual fix will be attempted (If you're advertising 50 down and I'm habitually getting 2.5 you should not be allowed to offer this package at all) or if I am allowed to cancel without paying a fee for such a poor service?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another one experiencing Exceptionally Poor Peak Speeds in CV5

Hey christine_cv5,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy though I'm sorry that you've had to join us with such speeds problems at the moment, apologies for the ongoing issues.

I've run some tests on your equipment and network segment and I am seeing a few problems unfortunately. It looks like some of the power levels on the hub are marginal at the moment, we'll need to keep an eye on that if things get worse. The network segment does show some heavy usage during peak times, which I believe is the main culprit for the speed issues you're seeing. It appears things are at their worst during around 5.30pm and 11.30pm most days.

Our engineers currently have an open investigation in order to improve things. They're planning to undertake some broadband upgrades in the area to support the increased demand for our services which is causing slow speeds. Once this work is completed you'll find that your peak time speeds return to normal. The reference for the ongoing work is F004162308 and the next review date is 1st February 2017.

I've passed your details onto a colleague who'll be in touch via PM with information about your credit options for the duration of these issues. They'll also be in touch with an update at the next review date. Feel free to bump this thread if you have any further questions.

I hope that helps Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
lukew777
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

"The reference for the ongoing work is F004162308 and the next review date is 1st February 2017."

Let me guess, they've decided to move the ongoing work to possibly a few months later, like they've done for the last two years?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/CV5-Exceptionally-Poor-Peak-Speeds/td-p/2943075

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

"Let me guess, they've decided to move the ongoing work to possibly a few months later, like they've done for the last two years?"

Lol you been here before then.

0 Kudos