Menu
Dosser
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Another Slow Speeds Thread...

I posted in another thread but I don't want to hijack it, so this is my issue.....

I'm from BD2 area,  we're having download speeds right down to 1 Mb/s during peak hours,  yet upload speeds unaffected.    I've run tests and were getting major spikes in latency all day, and packet loss, and between 7pm & 10pm in the evening its almost total unusable.  Its been going on over a week now, but has been bad for ages. 

I rang Virgin 150 earlier, and they said its because they're upgrading the network for DOCSIS 3.0 support (for 200Mb+ speed), and loads of users are effected.     They're going to refund me for lack of service, for November, but have to ring again for December.  

He's said the work will be ongoing until December 28th.    That's all I could get out of him.   We might be like this for next couple of months, or I guess it might be ok anytime.  

Can't say I'm pleased.   My sons can't play video games in the evenings, which means my life is barely worth living, plus I work from home, and am on standby in the evenings so must be able to connect to work.  

Is this really the case?   Are we expected to just suffer for 2 months?   Customer Services didn't seem to think it would be an issue as its generally ok during the day.

Can someone give more info please? 

2016-11-09.png

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another Slow Speeds Thread...

The network already supports DOCSIS 3.0. Your area will just be one of many which is oversubscribed, so speeds drop at peak times (Weekday evenings and all weekend) when everyone is online. They will need to upgrade the network to fix this, but whatever you do, don't expect it to be fixed on the 28th of December. 

The call centre staff will always promise faults will be fixed on a certain date, but in reality these kind of faults usually go on for a year or two. In my area we've been waiting since January 2015 and it still isn't fixed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another Slow Speeds Thread...

Hello Dosser

Welcome to our forum, sorry you are suffering slow peak time speeds. It is because of high traffic in your area, we are aware F003835038 and would like to carry out some upgrade work with a current review date of 28 DEC 2016. Please accept our apologies.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos