Menu
Snappper
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Amazing speed increase.

Area 22 getting nowhere near 200Mb speed. I called the helpline and chatted to an Asian gent who tested my line and directed me to do a speed test. Amazing !!! I was getting 208Mb wired and 160+ wifi. That was easy to sort out I thought ......... never been anywhere near those speeds since in fact almost immediately after hanging the phone up we were back to the normal 35-40Mb at best.

It seems it can be sorted very quickly and easily if they need to.

Just saying!

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazing speed increase.

My guess is each overloaded area is trafic managed as to not let one person pinch all the bandwith and when the offshore support reset the modem and it takes a few minutes before getting hit byt the managed limit again.
This is a total guess but after putting up with my internet being brought down to 5Mbps at exactly 3.30pm and then miraculously returning at 1am for the last 7 months there is more going on than meets the eye.
Hopefully someone with some real technical knowledge of the virgins network can answer, not someone who has never been in an area that is knackered and states that virgin dont traffic shape anymore beacuse thats what the website says..
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Snappper,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're experiencing, I know this can be frustrating.

I've just taken a look at your Superhub and I don't see anything obviously wrong right now.

Typically are you using a wireless or a hard-wired connection? Is your speed deteriorating at specific times of the day / night? Do you experience speed reductions on multiple devices?

Please get back to us so we can investigate further.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Snappper
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather and thank you for your reply.

I typically use a wifi connection all the time and have since joining NTL as it was then, some 12 areas ago. Having opted for the VIP package from the start, it has always been as advertised speed-wise up until about 3 to 4 months ago when it dipped dramatically off the charts. There is nothing wrong with my equipment as proven by the amazing speed boost whilst on the phone with a tech guy. I find that speed is pretty constant throughout the day at around 35 to 45mbs until about 7pm when it sometimes drops to 3 or 4mbs.

It's not only frustrating to have slower internet than i require but i'm paying (a lot) for something that i'm just not getting.

In the normal world if we the customers had for instance bought a Porsche and were delivered a Ford Focus, i'm not so sure we would be so patient with the provider.

I hope that this can get sorted in the very near future as i could be paying a lot less for the same service with a rival company.

0 Kudos
Snappper
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

AND amazingly after the message from Heather I started to get 120+MB speed. Now we're back to nearly half a Mb ay 9pm in the evening, barely enough to make this reply!

They gave me a badge for my 1st reply but honestly I would rather have the advertised speed .... or even half that would do .... if truth be known.

There is a serious problem here which is being purposely overlooked and "fobbed off" by the admin and I'm convinced it's to do with over-subscription on the broadband. They are literally cashing cheques that the system can't live up to and we "the suckers" are paying for something we aren't being delivered.

I'm giving it a fortnight and then I'm cutting my losses and moving over to the dark side.

BTW I totally expect to be getting 250mb after this message, at least for a day!

0 Kudos
Raco
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They are basically traffic managing people to fit more people on the area then saying it is overutilization, They then give people a fault code which they have no intention on fixing and will keep fobbing you off with a new date. Then after said years they will say it is being fixed and remove the cap and after a short time they will introduce the cap again and give you a new fault code. Rinse and repeat. There customer support will keep feeding you lies to keep you happy and while this is going on they will increase your prices each year. They will also keep signing up new customers to your exchange and not give them information on the current situation (overutilization) so they can make as much money as possible.

Its a joke and hopefully they will be found out and a law suit will award people with compensation.

0 Kudos
Snappper
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You seem to have hit the nail on the head there Raco. We should all keep a log of daily average speeds so that when they get dragged over the coals we are be able to prove just how much we should be compensated. 200Mb v at the moment 0.5Mb =  minus199.5Mb, if that was typical of the month then I reckon I would be owed about £40 compensation for this month alone. 

PULL THE FINGER OUT VIRGIN!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Snappper

Thanks for getting back to us and confirming how you are connected. I've run some more tests on your hub/network segment and everything looks healthy. Wireless speed tests will vary as many factors can affect it. When you experience these slow speeds can you run a test over ethernet to see if there is any improvement? You've mentioned monitoring your connection so something you can set up is a Thinkbroadband BQM graph which will do this and can help identify any issues Smiley Happy You will need to enable the hub to respond to ICMP echo requests which you can do in advanced settings, ping, in the hub GUI. 

Speak soon,

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos