Menu
DanielCardwell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Am I being throttled? Paying for 70 getting 50, all day every day!

Originally took the "free" speed boost over a year ago and it worked quite well, frequently getting speed test results in the region of 75, being as it should have been 70 was quite pleased! Recently the prices has gone up and the speed gone back down to 50. I test in the morning, lunch time, evenings, late night and even at 4am and its constantly at 50 meg, no matter whether its via Wi-Fi or Ethernet (whole house is cat6 gigabit wired) I checked on the router and the speedtest.net window is using 99.8% of all bandwidth usage so its not something in the background. It does this with various cables and on various devices so I'm pretty confident I've ruled out 99% of potential issues at my end, but the fact that its always 50 meg seems to me like something is limiting it to that speed. The fact we used to get it and then it suddenly stopped makes me think it may be software limiting it for unknown reasons.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Am I being throttled? Paying for 70 getting 50, all day every day!

Did you negotiate a new deal / discounts or change your package in anyway?

What is the upload speed showing? Is it back down to 3Mbs?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

DanielCardwell
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Am I being throttled? Paying for 70 getting 50, all day every day!

nope, changes were made to mobile but that's not actually attached to this account (and was to ADD an extra phone) Upload is still 5. Download not ever gone above 52

0 Kudos